Topic

Eastern Sierra Bug and Snow Report and route suggestions out of Mammoth?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Eastern Sierra Bug and Snow Report and route suggestions out of Mammoth?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Scott M
    BPL Member

@bluetick-2

Hey All,

Im planning on a 2 night trip next Friday and Saturday 8/18-19 and was hoping to get some intel on the bugs and snow situation around Mammoth.  Haven’t pinned down a route yet but have been instructed on anything BUT Thousand Island lakes due to my brothers girlfriend not being able to join us.  Was thinking maybe something out of Rock Creek or the Minarets? Any suggestions for spots to avoid crazy bugs?

Thanks

Erica R
    BPL Member

@erica_rcharter-net

The 2 bridges were out at McGee earlier. Check with the Forest Service, maybe you can easily wade across now?

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I have been day hiking out of Mammoth all week.  Bugs were not too awful anywhere, though they were worst at Bishop Lake.  Went up Rock Creek to upper Morgan Lake, there were a few but not awful.  My friend who went up to McGee Lake said there were a couple of crossings that were “dicey, but doable”.

Hope that helps!

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Also, the trails I did on east-facing ranges had maybe one short patch of snow to cross each when hiking between 10-11,000 feet elevation.  Between 11 and 12 thou there was a lot, however.

Scott M
    BPL Member

@bluetick-2

thanks!

Jim Fitzgerald
    BPL Member

@jimfitz12000

Locale: Southern California

Minaret Creek Bridge on JMT down; about a 60 foot fjord.  Last week, was about four feet deep.  This is 2.5 miles above Devil’s Postpile.

Bridge below Ediza Lake outlet down.  To reach campsites at lake, have to scramble over north side boulders or fjord creek.  Mosquitoes not too bad.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools