Topic

Dyneema Tarp Offerings?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Dyneema Tarp Offerings?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

What’s good out there?  I really like the looks of the HMG 8.5 X 10, especially the apparent robustness of the tie-outs vs. the ZPacks offering.  Never seen either in person though…Anything else I should be looking at?

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

Mld super tarp

David P
    BPL Member

@david-paradis

Hey Wisner

i have a couple pyramid shelters from mld which I love but when deciding on a flat tarp I went with 8×10 HMG. I think it’s lighter if I remember right, and it was shipped to my door 3 days later. Here’s some pics of different pitches. I just got the tarp a couple months ago so I’ve been preparing to take it out and sleeping in inclement conditions to see how it performs. I added a guy point to achieve “storm mode” which is excellent at shedding wind. However I think I will stick to tarping in 3 seasons weather, I don’t have the confidence yet to use this when there will be snow. I pitched a taught Aframe during snow and it got overloaded. I’ve used the Duomid and Supermid the past couple years in snow and it hasn’t failed me yet in some pretty intense storms. With guylines attached the tarp is only 4 oz lighter than the Duomid so I’m actually looking to buy a smaller tarp for myself. Hopefully the mld grace solo. The 8×10 takes up a lot of real estate for one person but it is versatile and can make a communal safe haven from the rain to cook and hang out if you’re hiking with a group. I will note that the Linelocs are great but the guylines that HMG provides slip under tension. You can simply tie a slippery half hitch up against the Linelocs after tightening or use the 2.7mm guylines like MLD supplies.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Hammockgear has DCF ground tarps.

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

If you can wait around for it, I’ll second the MLD Supertarp. Loads of tie outs, including the one that David P. added to his HMG tarp. Also, and this is personal preference of course, I like the MLD green MUCH more than the “Spruce” turquoise whatever that HMG and Zpacks use. It’s pretty much blue, and not as natural of a color as the MLD green. I had an HMG Echo 2 back when they used the same green as MLD and really liked the color. It blended in surprisingly well at a distance.

David Wiese
    BPL Member

@dtothewiese

Etowah probably makes DCF flat tarps cheaper than anyone else.

Rawhide .
    BPL Member

@rawhide

Locale: Central Coast of California

YAMA Mountain Gear.

Gen does a crazy amazing job. Designs are beautiful. Craftsmanship unparalleled.

https://yamamountaingear.com

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I totally forgot about Yama Mountain Gear…I like their offerings and prices!  Thanks.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Slightly off topic, but: “I totally forgot about Yama Mountain Gear.”

Yama seems to be the overlooked cottage manufacturer, it sometimes seems to me. I only own a Swiftline from them but the workmanship is impeccable and the design innovative (and I don’t mean the offset poles).

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I would agree.  After looking over their site I sort of scratched my head that they aren’t really a household UL name.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools