Topic

Dyneema One Sided Stick On Repair Tape

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Dyneema One Sided Stick On Repair Tape

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

I purchased this repair tape and it is very thin Dyneema composite fabric on one side and the other side covering the sticky portion is white plastic. It has proved impossible to seperate the two layers. Is there any trick anyone has discovered? Currently I’ve tried bending the corner and rolling it between my fingers but can’t make the two sides seperate so I can use the tape. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Are you having trouble getting the silicone release paper off of the adhesive side? If so, maybe make a thin cut with an xacto knife so you can stick the knife into the cut and peel it off. Also a pin might work. Once you get a little bit started the release paper should come off.

Eric B
    BPL Member

@eb

I’ve been stymied by this problem too. The solution is a pair of fine tweezers, prefrably with fine, sharp tips. Sometimes, after bending a corner with my fingers, the sharp point can be slid in between the layers. And sometimes the tweezers can be used to bend a corner to a tighter radius than can be achieved with the fingers, which can help separate the layers.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I use a large sewing needle to tease one corner of the cuben/adhesive tape off the backing.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I use an exacto knife or a utility knife to separate the backing from the film,  pressing the adhesive onto the blade.  I then peal away the backing film and use the knife as a handle to locate the tape. (versus my oily finger tips.)

For stubborn pieces I sometimes fold a corner and then roll it straight to help the edges to separate.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I’ve had success with similar repair tapes by using masking tape.  I stick one piece of masking tape to each side of the repair tape near the edge and pull the two pieces of repair tape apart.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools