Topic

Dyneema backpack spotted at brick and mortar store!! Pics

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Dyneema backpack spotted at brick and mortar store!! Pics

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Hanz B
    BPL Member

@tundra-thrasher-ouch-man-2

I know this is geeking out by I just happened by the Ann Arbor MooseJaw and low and behold I saw my first dyneema based backpack in a brick store. The folks that worked there didn’t think it was all that cool to have it – which made me feel more like a dork. Anyway it was a mountain hardware bag. Cool. Pic below. 

Hanz B
    BPL Member

Oh it was called the Alpine light 35L it said it used 150D dyneema. Felt like woven variant on body and laminate on the base. 330$ Ish

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Terra Nova (UK) had the DCF Quaser 55 L pack in 2012

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

REI (at least in NorCal) carries HMG packs.

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

I think he means woven Dyneema, not DCF. DCF is so mainstream these days  :)

Hanz B
    BPL Member

Sorry yea I meant woven. Also, so jealous of your rei. My rei doesn’t even know what nylon is.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

DCF is so 2010.

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Locale: San Juan Mtns.

The good news is that MHW thinks it can get a living wage ($330) for making a dyneema pack.  Hats off and continued success.  A rising tide lifts all boats.

Bad news is that the Dyneema only comprises 15% of the pack material.  Oh, and the Alpine “Light” weighs 27 oz. empty.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Agree with Matt.  The MH website says: “Materials – Fabric Body: 15% Dyneema Fiber, 65% Polyester, 20% Other Polymer”

Hanz has observed that it is a woven fabric, so the 15% dyneema fibers must be woven in there somehow. Which suggests the Spectra and Dyneema gridstop nylons that are readily available as yardgoods, only in this case with polyester as the primary fabric.  Or the fibers are woven into the polyester thread.  Could not find any details, other than it is represented to be a new “sailcloth.”   The gridstop nylons run 3 to 5 oz/sq/yd, but have a low water resistance (measured by HH).  So more info is needed to know if this material is any better for packs than what is currently widely available.

Douglas Layne
    BPL Member

@levibarry

Here in Portland, OR. we are lucky have to an outfitter that carries not only HMG packs but also Gossamer gear packs. They also carry some the stuff sacks and such. Also they carry Six Moon stuff.

Hanz B
    BPL Member

found this on the trekkinn website:

Specifications:

Primary Fabric:
    – Dyneema ® Composite:
    – 15% Dyneema Fiber, 65% Polyester, 20% Other Polymer

Base Fabric:
    – Coated 375d Dyneema
    – Composite (60% Dyneema Fiber, 40% Other Polymer)
    – Capacity: 35 L

Yea the price point and the texture of the woven upper was interesting. It didn’t feel like the HMG 150dch and the bottom def didn’t feel like the 375dchw material on the hmg prism either so it’s def a different mix and perplexed me perhaps the coating.

Matt, Albeit a different feature set I would actually say the weight is appropriate. the hmg prism is a 29oz bag without the hip belt and plenty of backpackers would consider that a light option for alpine ascents. So if the performance of this material lives up to say the 375dchw at a similar weight to the hmg 40l prism in a brick and mortar store at 50$ less then that is an impressive shift in the access and cost of a dyneema product. However, I doubt that’s the case from what I handled in the store. at least compared to the cottage industry bags I’ve handled and the ripstop samples, etc, this was a different material. Less supple then 375dchw. Actually if the did find that the abrasion resistance of a 15% dyneema woven polyester hybrid was appropriate and made sense in mass production that makes me wonder what else the dyneema guys are conjuring up right now.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Here in Portland, OR. we are lucky have to an outfitter that carries not only HMG packs but also Gossamer gear packs. They also carry some the stuff sacks and such. Also they carry Six Moon stuff.

The Mountain Shop!!!    I’ve never been but have a buddy that works there.   It must be awesome to have a local outfitter that carries some cottage gear stuff.   I guess Mountain Crossings which is about two and a half hours away sells some (ULA and SMD) cottage stuff along with Mont-Bell and WM.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I assume this is not a hybrid DCF like HMG uses in 150d and 50d flavors where a face fabric is laminated to a DCF sheet and instead is a full woven fabric that incorporates dyneema in the weave?

Hanz B
    BPL Member

Brad – I don’t think the hmg prism uses a laminate, i think it’s a 375 woven variant so this appeared to be closer to that – no crinkle. You know the grey base felt coated on this MH bag so I couldn’t tell if there was a crinkle laminate feeling down there.

actually there’s a question in that… how do the laminate vs coated dyneema fabrics perform as bases / tent floors? Any thoughts? I imagine the weight of a woven coated dyneema tent floor wouldn’t make sense right?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Woven dyneema itself isn’t waterproof so it wouldn’t make sense as a tent floor.  You would have to coat it with something to make it waterproof.  I’m not sure how easily it coats or is laminated to anything though I know there is a version of full woven dyneema that is laminated to DCF.    Woven dyneema is super abrasion resistant however so it makes a superb packbag material for off trail use.

Denys
    BPL Member

@stitch_down

Locale: Rocky Top, Tennessee

RE: “doesn’t even know what nylon is.”

LOL!!!!  Shhhh! 

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools