Topic

Dutchware Hexon fabric bonding – how?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Dutchware Hexon fabric bonding – how?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

Locale: Ohio

If I were to buy Hexon fabric from Dutchware, what tape would I use to bond layers before stitching?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wouldn’t use a traditional, adhesive based tape–tends to gunk up sewing machines.  If it’s non DWR treated, you can bond with the iron on stuff sold at places like Joann’s. It’s made out of polyamide, which is like nylon chemically.  I haven’t had problems sewing over it.

It works even better with untreated nylon fabrics, but it will work ok with polyester.  Especially since you’ll be sewing it anyways, and don’t need a permanent bond.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Email them at Dutchware and ask…They’re really helpful and pretty quick to respond to stuff like that.  I’m lucky enough to live near them and stopped in to pick up a purchase once and got the full tour.  Their sewing room is onsite so someone can run upstairs to ask someone who sews the fabric every day.  I don’t know if you’re making a hammock or something else, but I can’t imagine there are applications that put more stress on a fabric than a hammock.

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

I emailed them and posted a question on their forum. I’m still waiting to find out.

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

They got back to me and don’t recommend any kind of tape. Instead they said to just pin it together and stitch…I’m not sure how I feel about that.

They said the tape will gum up the sewing machine and be stiff.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I would have been surprised if they didn’t email you back – I’m glad they did.  What are making with the Hexon?

William Kerber
    BPL Member

@wkerber

Locale: South East US

These work ok, if you have something a little thicker, like when making a quilt that includes a climashield layer. I think they would slide around too much on just 2 layers of hexon.

I know it’s not what you want, but I’d also just pin it.

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

Well, this project is a bit of a secret until I see if it will work. I’m a little nervous, but it should be fun.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools