Topic

Durable Wide Toe Box Boots?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Durable Wide Toe Box Boots?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Can anyone recommend a quasi-durable boot with a wide toe box? I recently discovered that most of the shoes I have been wearing have been much too narrow-seems silly, but I just assumed that’s how shoes were. Did a 13 mile hike in my Moab Ventilator 2 mid boots-that I have hiked in before without issue and within hours of finishing the hike the balls of my feet were killing and left foot was swollen. It’s taken about 6 weeks for them to feel almost normal and in that time I realized how tight all of my boots/shoes are width wise. My outer foot edges bulge out my shoes.

During this painful healing I bought some Altra Superior 3.5’s and holy cow are these the most comfortable shoe I have worn. Plenty of room for my toes. I need a more durable boot though for some of the hikes I do-desert cross country, rocky washes, etc. The Lone Peak Mid’s are just not durable enough. I thought about getting the Moabs in wide but I am not sure that will be enough-kind of afraid to do anymore damage.

Anyone have a wide toe box boot they have experience with?

Vincent Vilcinskas
    BPL Member

@vinvil

I’m a boot fan too and I also need a wide toe box. best ones I’ve found are Asolo Fugitives. Most of their sizes come in a wide width. The lacing system provides a good bit of variability too.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I have sort of wide feet and found the Vasque Breeze III (non goretex) boots in the ‘wide” model to be actually TOO wide. If you want room, get those. I have Asolo Neutrons in “wide” and don’t find them to be that wide overall, especially in the toe area. I also have some Altra Olympus 3 shoes, and I’d say the Vasques fit more like those than the Asolos, though not much on the market has the full “splayed toe” shape like the Altras.

Gumbo
    BPL Member

@redgum

Locale: Aussie in exile in the PNW

I have a wide foot but narrow heel, which makes finding a good fit hard. Love the fit of the Vasque Breeze III.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Gumbo-did you choose the wide version of the Vasque Breeze III’s?

Philip-If Altra made a durable boot like the ones mentioned I would be first in line. I love the very roomy toe box. I can’t believe I have been cramming my foot into narrow boots/shoes my whole life.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Altra is coming out with a more traditional boot but unfortunately it will only come in a waterproof version(unless that is something you like?)  Altra Tusher Hiking Boot .

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Re: Altra Tusher. eVent liners? They aren’t waterproof. eVent lasts like a month or two and then leaks badly. What a waste at trying to make a waterproof shoe. They would have been better off just skipping the pretense of waterproof-ness.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

That has been true with all of the eVent lined shoes they have made and had complaints about they were never really waterproof.

Clifford Deakyne
    BPL Member

@cliffdeakyne

Locale: Colorado Rockies foot hills

Brad,

I had similar issues with the MOAB ventilators and switched to KEEN boots.  They have a squarer to box making it wider without going to a wide size.

Gumbo
    BPL Member

@redgum

Locale: Aussie in exile in the PNW

Yep, went with the Wides.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Clifford-What Keens did you go with?

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

Myself, I like the Keen Targhee in the non-waterproof forms. Nice rubber cap, which I find necessary because somebody filled this state with rocks.

Clifford Deakyne
    BPL Member

@cliffdeakyne

Locale: Colorado Rockies foot hills

Brad,

I have the Voyageur mids (a non waterproof boot).  After 7 years of use the soft rubber over mold on the soles is wearing out and I will likely get the same again.  As much as I like these, I will try out most of the others that have been mentioned, to be sure!

Cliff

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

MJ H-I just returned the Keen Targhee. I had room in the toe box but I must have a strange shaped foot-my big toe was resting pushed up on the inside of the boot.

Nathan V
    BPL Member

@junk

Locale: The Great Lake State

Keens don’t fit me either, I can’t stand them. I have had good luck with Lowa Renegade GTX wides though, they are the best boot I’ve ever had. I used to wear the Moabs, until I found the Lowa’s. I’ve even bought an extra pair in case they ever change them or quit making them.

Federico Calboli
    BPL Member

@fedster9

Not tried them but the new Goruck boots are advertised as wide toes and durable:

https://www.goruck.com/macv-1/

https://www.goruck.com/stories/macv1-features-explained/

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Federico  – Those look interesting. I wish the soles were a bit more aggressive.

Federico Calboli
    BPL Member

@fedster9

@rocko99 I have the same exact feeling about the lugs.  I guess I will get a pair next year and see how things go.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Keens and Altras have the widest toe-box. Take it from a lady with small feet that measure a EEEE width, but not because my feet are big all over. They’re just wide. Even so, I still wear Keens or Altras a couple sizes too big so there’s enough room.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools