Topic

Durability of DriDucks jacket under pack straps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Durability of DriDucks jacket under pack straps

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Can anyone offer first hand experience/advice for using DriDucks for several 8 hour days under a 25 lb or less pack (Arc Haul)?  I keep 90% of pack weight on my hips, but there is still some pressure and minimal abrasion possible from the pack straps.

I really like the jacket day hiking and with a small daypack, but don’t want to expect too much, or erroneously bet on them to keep me dry under a full pack.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Never had a problem with a fair amount of use. I’ve been more likely to ge tiny holes from abrasion with brush or rocks. The pants are trash though.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Even with no pack at all, the Driducks jacket is short on durabililty.  I do keep one in the car, just in case I need to leave the vehicle in the rain during an emergency.  It is good for that.

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Locale: San Juan Mtns.

I’ll use a jacket for hundreds of miles with absolutely no problems.  I wouldn’t dream of having to replace one during a Colorado Trail thru (486 miles), and I’m pretty fussy about equipment, and that’s pretty volatile weather.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Interesting that we are getting nearly 180* opposite experiences.

Ben and Matt – What is your avg pack weight?  Frameless without a belt?  Most/all weight on the hipbelt?

Sam – What failures (where/how) have you seen and what do you think was the reason?  Shoulder strap abrasion?  Snags on vegetation?

Terry Sparks
    Spectator

@firebug

Locale: Santa Barbara County Coast

I wore Dri mDucks for a PCT thru- a few years ago and it lasted the hike to Canada.  But, I also was very fortunate that it was a dry year and after a half-day of snow in the Tehachapi’s. I never wore it again until reaching Mt. Lassen NP. In hindsight, I’d say that using Dri Ducks in lower elevation, warmer weather is fine and would wear them again in those conditions, if that’s all I had available.  If this is the situation you’re in, buy the Dri Ducks and be wise in not pushing your luck with them, such as a cold-weather hike with a high possibility of rain or snow. If you do go this route, have a plan to upgrade to a better system in place.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I think wind is more dangerous than wearing a pack. I wore my dri-ducks on my motorcycle for quite some time before finally the flapping in the wind caused a catastrophic, instant failure. They totally shredded. But you asked about using dri-ducks for several days. I used mine for weeks on my motorcycle before the failure.

tom lakner
    BPL Member

@lakneremu

Locale: midwest

I’d wear the jacket and check it occasionally for abrasion, and if that happened I’d put a strip of duct tape across that area. I’ve worn dri ducks for years and never had an issue other than tears from branches, etc..

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to offer your input.

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

JCH – I always use a frameless pack, rarely exceed 22 pounds, and the weight is probably evenly distributed between shoulders and hips.  But honestly, I never even begin to see wearing under the straps.  What wears my jacket out will be suntan lotion on the underside of the arm.  It gets on by accident when I’m lathering up the legs in the morning.  After a few weeks of this routine, the material seems to start becoming a little translucent.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

New question: would anyone trust a DriDucks jacket in an all-day, or multi-day rain situation?

I am asking these questions as I admire the breathability and waterproofness of the DriDucks, but fear a failure days away from the opportunity to replace it.  Perhaps this is why 2 feet of duct tape should be part of my kit?

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Yes.  Been there done that.

If you’re still wary, consider packing along one of the cheapy emergency ponchos.  Tiny, inexpensive, and light.  Great insurance.  I’ve used those for hundreds of miles also.  All of this light gear just requires a little more thoughtful TLC.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Thanks Matt – the emergency poncho is a great idea…dunno why I didn’t think of that.  Looks like I will be packing the DriDucks for this season and hoping it can become a “permanent” solution.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I still have a dri-ducks jacket in my gear closet that has quite a few miles on it – (~900) and though it has a couple of duct tape patches, it’s not bad considering.  A dri  ducks jacket is very fragile if you catch it on things and will rip quite easily, but I noticed no real issues from pack straps, so for on trail use they seem to be OK.

The fit is baggy, the hood is terrible, the zipper finicky, and the cuffs don’t close tight (at least on my skinny wrists), but for $20 it’s not too bad.  The material actually feels nice against the skin and there is no DWR to wear off.

Here is a picture of me wearing a dri ducks jacket at the start of the AT after 7 inches of rain in 24 hours. (September 21 2009)

dri ducks

Here are my notes of the trip – “My final section this side of Damascus, VA. Day 1: Neel Gap to Justis Creek 16.9 miles Day 2: Justis Creek to Amicalola Falls State Park 22.6 miles The rain was biblical.”

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Wow…what a start to the trip!

Thanks again Matt and Brad.  I’m now feeling pretty good about taking this decision.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

JCH – I use a frameless pack almost always, typically with a belt (MLD Prophet). My base is typically around 9 pounds. On occasion I have started with over 25 pounds total pack weight, but usually lighter.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools