Topic

Duplex zipper configuration

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Duplex zipper configuration

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Robert Spencer
    BPL Member

@bspencer

Locale: Sierras of CA and deserts of Utah

Forgive me if this has been discussed.

I have been pleased with my old Zpacks Hexamid Twin but thinking of trying the Duplex to improve headroom and enjoy two doors for me and the wife. One thing I didn’t care for was how the entry zipper fell into the dirt every time the door was opened. Probably my fault but has anyone ever suggested flipping the zipper so it’s a “U” instead of the standard rainbow?

I think my old Sierra Designs tent had that configuration and I liked how the door hung there when opened. No dirt to gunk up the zipper.

Is there not enough space to do so on the Duplex? Does the bathtub floor make for a clean landing zone and the rainbow style is fine? Thanks for the help.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I always opened mine to the inside. It wasn’t a problem. I’d think a U would be too narrow at the bottom.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Just running it around in my mind I imagine there could be 3 problems with a ‘U’ shaped door.

First, as Matthew mentioned, it would be quite a bit narrow at the bottom.

Second, the max height of the door would be directly behind the pole.

Third, and the most importantly I think, is that the top of the door opening would be very low, making the door very short. Take the width you would like for the top of the door, then run down the roof lines until you reach that width…you might be surprised how low you have to go.

And as Matthew said, just lay the open door to the inside…problem solved :)

Robert Spencer
    BPL Member

@bspencer

Locale: Sierras of CA and deserts of Utah

Thanks for the insight.

I guess what I had in mind was more of a tear-shape door so it could be much wider at the bottom ( if the zipper could handle the curve ).  The door on the Sierra Designs tent I used to have was almost a circle, but there is probably a reason you don’t see it anymore. And the pole would certainly present a problem.

Sounds like sticking with the standard zipper makes sense. I just had to ask before plunking down the money.

I appreciate your time and comments.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

An inverted T zip should work for what you want. It’s probably a little heavier, but better at keeping bugs out.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools