Topic

Duct Tape Rx

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I am sharing this link to this article because I thought it had an interesting use for duct tape as a wound closure, I had never seen this particular technique before.

Link

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Wow!  What a great technique.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Dena, that is the most amazing “MYOG” medical solution I’ve ever seen. I’ve been well trained in the medical field, which includes disaster medical response, and no one I know has ever heard of this technique. Brilliant! Thanks for sharing this simple and likely very effective concept.

And to think that someone just posted about how MYOG is dead on the BPL forums…

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Nice Dena! Thanks!

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’m developing a BPL article on how to remove the Americium-241 from old smoke detectors so you can perform your own chemo-therapy.  In case you get cancer on a long thru-hike but want to keep going.  Hopefully I’ll get the editing done by April 1, 2018.

Seriously, I appreciate the duct tape tip and agree there are times it could be helpful.  And not just for skin.  With these UL fabrics we’re using in tents and quilts, it can be hard to sew stuff back together after a tear.  Sometimes, good tape suffices by itself, but other times, good tape plus some sewing lets you fix a zipper or tear you couldn’t otherwise.

Less involved is to cut butterfly closures out of the tape and apply them over the wound.

And, short of arterial bleeding, let that wound bleed freely for quite a while to flush bacteria and foreign material out as much as possible.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Great link – I’ve bookmarked it to read before my trips (knowing that by doing so I’ll likely never need it).

Thanks for posting!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools