Topic

Dual (Dubious) Purpose, Pt. 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Dual (Dubious) Purpose, Pt. 2

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Honestly I’m pretty much flabbergasted, nay dumbstruck by this one and am really looking forward to someone explaining to me how this is not one of the the silliest, heaviest, least useful examples of “dual purpose” yet.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/quilts-and-blankets/tech-blankets/honcho-poncho/product

A poncho that is “water resistant” ?!?!  And is also your blanket ?!?!?! For only 1 lb. 12 oz. ?!?!?!?!?!?!

Ed Biermann
    BPL Member

@longstride

Since it is part of their Camp&Comfort series of products I’ll bet weight was further down the list of targets. Be fine for the stadium. Or back of the wagon. Similar to the JacksRBetter wearable quilts.

jared h
    BPL Member

@thundore

16″x12″ packed. that has to be around 40L. and only a 1000mm HH? advertised for around camp or the stadium…i assume the target audience are those who have ruined their snuggy by taking it out to the porch.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

The website says: “NEW FOR 2016: FUN OR TECHNICAL? YOU DECIDE. WE BUILT IT FOR BOTH.”

I’m going with fun, until it get’s cold or rainy

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

As mentioned, not so great when looking at this with UL eyes but for car camping and sitting in an arena, I think it’s a neat idea.

This isn’t too far off from what I’m working towards (with the exception of the weight), which is insulation that can be worn under a poncho and could be used to bolster my sleep system.  For me, that’d be a MLD quilt with optional neck hole and their insulated balaclava.

For comparisons

Cascade designs

• W 58″
    • L 79″
    • 28 ounces

MLD 48*f spirit quilt size XL

• W 52″ at shoulder
    • L 78″
    • 15 ounces plus another 1.6 ounces for the balaclava
    Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

Love my Honcho Poncho. It is a special use garment for sure.

I have used mine a lot hunting, where I am sitting glassing. It’s full coverage works well.

I have also used it on several winter trips to FS cabins where it has been my only insulation layer and my sleep system as well. These were in single digit temps.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Originally a poncho was a garment made to keep one warm more than dry.
    It is only more recently that the word poncho has become synonymous with raincoat.

As mentioned above the Jacks R Better quilts use the same idea.
    (I don’t expect my JRB down quilt to keep me dry either…)

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

Originally a poncho was a garment made to keep one warm more than dry.
    It is only more recently that the word poncho has become synonymous with raincoat.

Is that a real poncho . . . I mean
    Is that a Mexican poncho or is that a Sears poncho?
    Hmmm . . . no foolin’ . . .

Frank Zappa

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Thanks everyone for offering the alternative viewpoint(s) that I was lacking. As so often happens, I only considered *my* potential uses for something

I still don’t understand a product being marketed as “Rain Gear” yet it only has a 1000mm HH and is described in the marketing copy as “water resistant”. I have no doubt that it’s warm, and if used for that purpose it probably is quite nice…for keeping one dry? Eh.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

“I still don’t understand a product being marketed as “Rain Gear” yet it only has a 1000mm HH and is described in the marketing copy as “water resistant””
    It isn’t advertised as rain gear , it’s under quilts and blankets
    Therm-a-RestÂŽÂť Camp Quilts and Tech BlanketsÂť Tech BlanketsÂť Honcho Poncho
    that is why I pointed out that Poncho does not mean Rain Poncho as many here seem to think it does…
    From Wiki :
    A poncho (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈpontʃo]; punchu in Quechua; Mapudungun pontro, blanket, woolen fabric)[1][2][3] is an outer garment designed to keep the body warm.
    A rain poncho is made from a watertight material designed to keep the body dry from the rain.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Uncle.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools