Topic

Drysuits These Days

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Drysuits These Days

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Joe Hall
    BPL Member

@xjoehallx

Where are the lightweight options for drysuits these days? What models are popular, what models AREN’T so popular? It’s hard to know what’s out there as it’s a whole market I don’t really know much about. I’m really only interested in complete suits, not separate tops and bottoms. Here’s what I know about:

Alpacka Atowaway. Reviews of these seem mixed

Kokatat Supernova. This seems like their lightest offering at 2.3 lbs.

Stohlquist EZ, Seems like a decent budget option ($500) compared to the Kokatats. I believe it weighs 44 oz.

What do you use?

Ben Brochu
    BPL Member

@crooked_creek-2-2

Locale: Hinterland Outdoors

I use a Kokatat Surge (with custom latex neck gasket.) 44 oz in M. Very happy with it so far. Lighter and more breathable than the Meridian drysuit I had before and I like being able to wear just the pants. Very easy to get on and off with the mid-zip.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

If I didn’t care about having breathable fabric, are there any dry suits well under $500 that are less than 3 pounds?

Ben Brochu
    BPL Member

@crooked_creek-2-2

Locale: Hinterland Outdoors

I would recommend caring about breathability, but I’ve heard these are good for the money: https://www.mythicdrysuits.com/. Don’t know about the weight though.

Joe Hall
    BPL Member

@xjoehallx

In an email with Mythic they said…

“Our suits vary by size and model from about 2 lb 8 oz to about 3 lb 12 oz. If you need more precision, let me know the model and size you’re interested in and I’ll put it on the scale.”
    “I have these weights for the Enki in hand: Large: 3 lb 0 oz, XXL: 3 lb 5 oz

Let me know if you’re interested in a different size and I’ll put it on the scale for you. Be aware that any individual drysuit may vary by an ounce or two.”

Brian B
    BPL Member

@brianb

Locale: Alaska

All three of those (the Alpacka, Kokatat, Stohlquist) have neoprene neck gaskets as opposed to latex neck gaskets.  If you dunk in deep water, you may take on a little.  Mostly drysuits —

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The Kokatat Lightweight Dry Suit (use as rain gear with neck-ring or paddling gear) at 38.2 oz. for size Large was the best packrafting solution I have tried. Kokatat has now replaced this model with the Surge which uses a different zipper.

It is a semi dry suit. If something is semi dry, it is also semi wet. You will get some water in the neck if you were to spend time upside down in the water. How much depends on your neck and how tight you cinch it.

The material is Gore-Tex Performance Shell and it is lighter weight than the other Kokatat drysuits made of Gore-Tex. It is more breathable than them also and more comfortable to wear in warm weather cold water conditions.

Conventional dry suits have latex necks which don’t vent well enough to wear as conventional WPB active garments when not on the water; they also weigh more.

My Alpacka dry suit abraided (along the inside pants legs and under the pack straps) from hiking in it during the rain. After that it leaked.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

I put a hole in the butt of a stowaway (sorry rich!!) when I flipped into some shallow rapids. I don’t recall butt-bumping anything sharp, which is why I was surprised. They seem very fragile.

Chad Lorenz
    BPL Member

@chadl

Locale: Teton Valley, Wydaho

I own a Kokatat GFER: not light, but latex on the neck and wrists and full goretex feet mean it stays dry, period.

In comparison, I used a Supernova Paddling Suit on a 30 day trip through the Talkeetnas last summer and got quite wet. Wave trains and splashing that reaches the neoprene neck will eventually soak through in my experience, and I was frequently wet around my chest, back, shoulders and lower torso from easy but splashy boating.

My ideal would be the Stowaway tough in Goretex with attached booties, could be right around 2lbs I figure, adding cordura to the seat and knees would likely increase that to 2.5lbs but will probably be a change seen on the next round of Alpacka suits.

Joe Hall
    BPL Member

@xjoehallx

Chad, do you know the weight of the GFER?

Chad Lorenz
    BPL Member

@chadl

Locale: Teton Valley, Wydaho

I’d weight it if it were here, just sent it in for new gaskets in time for the spring melt. My size L is certainly 50oz or more.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Does anyone have an opinion on the kokatat hydrus 3l swift entry dry suit? It weighs 2.4 pounds in medium and not super expensive.

http://www.nrs.com/product/22623/kokatat-mens-hydrus-3l-swift-entry-drysuit

Taiga
    BPL Member

@taiga

Justin, I have a Kokatat hydrus 3L. I bought it as a factory second on Ebay last year, it’s also under warranty. I like it so far. I bought it from these folks: http://www.ebay.com/sch/akkayakschool/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

I spoke with the owner a couple times, he was very helpful.

Joe Hall
    BPL Member

@xjoehallx

I ended up buying the Stohlquist EZ, mainly because of the price compared to Kokatat. Anyways, it weighs 3lb 12oz and it’s level of quality and build feel fantastic. I’ve used it twice now and it’s been great. It’s breathes surprisingly well! While I haven’t taken a swim in it yet, so far I’m EXTREMELY happy with my choice.

Taiga
    BPL Member

@taiga

Awesome. I looked that model up, seems like a good deal.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools