Topic

Dry permethrin-treated clothes before they're completely dry?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Dry permethrin-treated clothes before they're completely dry?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

So I sprayed the daylights out of a few articles of clothing this morning, and it’s kinda cold and damp here, so they don’t seem to be drying completely.

They’re now mostly dry (they feel barely damp to the touch). I need them soon. Could I just toss them in the dryer to finish the drying process, or will this somehow upset the treatment?

Mr Google tells me that some folks use the drying as part of the treatment process, and Mr. Sawyer tells me that the dryer won’t hurt as much as an agitated washer, but that’s after the treatment is ‘completed.’

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

My 2 cents: Use the drier. But you might want to wash the drier afterwards otherwise you get insecticide on your other clothes.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Probably will, thanks Bruce.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

What Bruce said, but use the dryer on the lowest setting.

— Rex

steven w
    Spectator

@crossup

So what if it gets on your dryer? Since its used to treat scabies and lice and is rated safe for children over 2 months and pregnant women its not much of a health risk. Furthermore the topical treatments are 10x stronger than our clothes treatment at 5%.  You should be much more worried about compromising your protection from ticks than permethrin exposure-

Permethrin has little systemic absorption, and is considered safe for topical use in adults and children over the age of 2 months. The FDA has assigned it as pregnancy category B. Animal studies have shown no effects on fertility or teratogenicity, but studies in humans have not been performed. The excretion of permethrin in breastmilk is unknown, and breastfeeding is recommended to be temporarily discontinued during treatment.<sup id=”cite_ref-Package_Label_11-1″ class=”reference”>[11]</sup>

According to the Connecticut Department of Public Health, permethrin “has low mammalian toxicity, is poorly absorbed through the skin, and is rapidly inactivated by the body. Skin reactions have been uncommon

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

This is always what I have wondered, given the fact it’s used to spray directly one livestock and pets (dogs anyway).  I’ve always wondered the dire warnings on the bottles about not getting it on your skin in its liquid form.  I buy it in bulk and treat all my stuff – I’ve never found a tick while hiking in Northern MN or my annual trips to the Rockies.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools