Topic

DROP the annoying “Back to top” bar in ARTICLES

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website Bug Reports DROP the annoying “Back to top” bar in ARTICLES

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

PLEASE drop that annoying black “back to top” bar in the ARTICLES. It is entirely unnecessary and the info can be placed AT THE TOP BAR.

Why would a web designer do that??

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Depending on how your screen zoom is set, that dumb bar can obscure a large portion of the page and hovers like 1/3 the way down, right where a normal human tends to read.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The bar helps obscure nearly 1/3 of my mac laptop screen

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Very strange page placement indeed!  I could probably live with it being placed at the very top of the page, but in the middle of content?!?

MacOS 11.4, Safari 14.1.1

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

That bar isn’t supposed to float over content – it’s a known bug on our list to address, hopefully this week!

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

This should now be resolved. That bar wasn’t supposed to show up on narrow screens, mobile devices/tablets. If you’re still seeing this issue of the “floating” bar, then your browser cache may need to be cleared.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Bar no longer displayed in iPadOS/Safari

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Locale: California

Still there, depending on how wide I stretch the browser window:

Before:

Stretched just a little wider:

And that bar floats just at eye level as I scroll through any story on an iMac 24. Note the other top elements that appeared and disappeared after stretching. Also a problem.

Safari 14.1.1, cleared every cache I could find, including under the Develop menu, then quit and relaunched Safari just to be safe.

HTH.

— Rex

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Rex – it may still be an issue for our staff/authors, because of some conflicts we have with our staff/author admin bars. *sigh*.

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Unfortunately I’m still seeing it as well at the 1200px browser width breakpoint and above.

I’m not sure we need it. Scrolling up and down is so effortless, offering that extra click seems unnecessary.

rubmybelly!
    BPL Member

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I see the same thing Rex and Chris sees. Agree with Chris that it’s pretty unnecessary.

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

I am still dealing with the bug of it floating in the middle of content in both Firefox and Chrome on Windows 10. Oddly, I only have this problem when I am logged into my account. If I’m logged out, it tracks at the top of the screen as expected.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Same issue as Chris. I always view Chrome at 1920×1080 and the bar is dropped down a bit more than its thickness when logged in yet is up against the menu bar when not logged in.

Personally, I don’t want to see the bar at all on a wider screen since you can tell from the scrollbar how far down you have gone and even if it is against the menu bar, it obscures text you haven’t read yet when using the page down key. Some of still use old school equipment like desktops and laptops!

I’m not sure what the need is of going back to the top of the article anyway, but if you really think you need that functionality then just make it a “button” off to the right side instead of a full bar.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Still there for me on Chrome.

matthew k

@matthewkphx

Has everyone dumped their caches like Ryan mentioned?

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Yes, just cleared my cache and looked at another article. No change.

ETA: the issue is with this element of style.css, which appears when I’m logged in as an Unlimited member (so we must see a portion of the admin bar Ryan mentioned) but not when logged out:

.admin-bar .js-guide {
    top: 135px;
    }

Removing the top value will keep it at the top below the menu bar. Making it negative will move it off the screen altogether which is what I prefer.

Also you seem to be having an issue with bootstrap files among other minor things. These show in browser console when logged in (first line) or not (second line):

DevTools failed to load source map: Could not load content for https://backpackinglight.com/wp-content/themes/bpl/js/bootstrap.bundle.min.js.map: HTTP error: status code 404, net::ERR_HTTP_RESPONSE_CODE_FAILURE
    DevTools failed to load source map: Could not parse content for https://backpackinglight.com/wp-content/themes/bpl/css/bootstrap.min.css.map: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0

matthew k

@matthewkphx

Thanks for confirming you have emptied your cache and for sharing more info, Michael.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!