Topic

Dream umbrella

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Dream umbrella

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

I’ve been looking for years for the perfect umbrella.  Nonfolding, super light made with carbon fiber, not tiny, solar reflective.  There was a kickstarter campaign awhile back for the world lightest umbrella, but they made only a few and shut down and I missed it.  I love my chrome dome, but its a little heavy.

So, it was with great joy I saw the new product offered by Six Moons Design …. the Silver Carbon Shadow.

https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/collections/umbrellas/products/silver-shadow-carbon

Its a Chrome Dome made with carbon fiber rod and stays. So lighter.

Just sharing because I love it when you imagine a product and pine after it for years, and then eventually it appears on the market.  I had similar feeling with the Inreach Mini (although I first picked up the Somewhere, which is working well and is a tad lighter).

What other ultralight products have you imagined and finally appeared years later?

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Well I waited over a decade for my web hosting company to provide SSL for free and finally they did it. I also waited my whole life for foot-shaped shoes and Altra finally came pretty close. But I never had that experience with UL gear specifically.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

This silver Shadow is over 2 inches smaller than the chrome done (coverage when open). On an umbrella this small, that must have helped get the weight lower.

If you have this umbrella, could you post some pics that show the carbon rods on the underside? All smd has is artsy fartsy blurry pics…

Guess I’m ones of those snarky ones.

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Maybe they changed the design from long ago.  But my chrome dome and new sliver carbon shadow are the same size.

photo of ribs and rod

John W
    BPL Member

@john-the-outdoorsman

Montbell Sun Block umbrella has an expandable shaft and 4 cm more diameter for 7 extra grams. Although the extended length is 4″ less.

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Yes, I have the Montbell one as well (actually several models).  I am rough on umbrellas, as I use them even when bushwacking strapped to my pack.  They are amazingly tough though places you would not expect. And it is so much nicer not wearing a hard shell jacket in the rain. But the folding Montbell umbrellas are definitely less durable. The ribs are much more flimsy.  and the pain of clicking them to extend and unextend.  Often I just leave them extended.  Having a tougher umbrella for the same, or less, weight, is what got me excited. Plus you can pull the chome dome in and out of the side pocket and pop it open so much faster and the hassle with the Montbell ones.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

“What other ultralight products have you imagined and finally appeared years later?”

I’ve been killing coffee mugs for decades. They seem to last a couple of years as they go to work, all around the house, garage/workshop and yard, and hiking/camping/vacations as well. In 2010 I spent big bucks, $26, to George the Tin Man for an Evernew 350 ml titanium mug with the one-piece welded-on handle. It is still in great shape although the bottom weld on the handle has popped loose, but Gorilla Glue has held for 3 years now. It darkens up nicely with use but Brillo Cameo Aluminum & Stainless Steel Cleanser will polish it up like new.   Weighing in at 45 grams: My Dream Coffee Mug.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

Thank you for the picture of the underside of the umbrella, just ordered one.  Should be nice!

Chris H
    Spectator

@chrish

Locale: Somewhere on the Virginia A.T.

I’m also rough on umbrellas.  Previously cracked the shaft on 2 different ‘chrome dome’ (1 golite and 1 euroshirm) just shaking water off of them around town.  Finally decided the shaft material was crap on those and spent the few extra bucks on a Helinox.  Hands down better.  Aluminum shaft.  I suppose a black or red canopy isn’t a sun shedding as the silver, but honestly I don’t think the UV rating means much.  I would imagine the six moons w/ the carbon shaft is equally as durable as the aluminum.  But only about an ounce difference, I’ll stick w/ the aluminum.

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

I am waiting for the umbrella used by Mary Poppins to come onto the market. It should make the climbs much easier.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I just wish my chrome dome would come back from wherever it went. I cannot find it. Last time I saw it my cockatoo had eaten part of it. I hope I didn’t just throw it out. I’d like an umbrella like the chrome dome that doesn’t have foam that cockatoos like to chew up.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools