Topic

Drawing on DCF?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Drawing on DCF?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Locale: NEOH

OK, probably a really silly question, but has anyone drawn on or decorated their white DCF pack? I’ve been using an HMG SW pack since 2013 and I have often thought about giving it some flair. I’ve seen some hikers dying the fabric, but not much other than that. I did a little test with a black Sharpie in an inconspicuous spot and it seems to remain ok, but before I go all in with a bunch of colored Sharpies I was wondering if anyone else has already tried this and maybe even found the best markers, etc. to use.

If you have, can you post a pic of how it turned out and what you used?

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

My pack is all black, so instead of drawing on it, I added some patches. I got the customized one with my trailname on Etsy.

Patches on my pack

I had a zpacks pointy hat that I tried to draw on and I used a pencil thinking I would draw over that with a sharpie. I didn’t like what I drew with the pencil and never could really erase it. I’m sure that doesn’t you help much.

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Locale: San Juan Mtns.

I’ve used Sharpies on Dyneema Composite (.8 oz) many times!  It dulls over time, not due to sun exposure (they were stuff sacks), but due to abrasion (doesn’t fade as much in the translucent seams).  Try Sharpies Extreme – supposedly fade resistant.  I suspect DCH might hold the color longer, but the lines also won’t be as crisp.  The ink tends to run in the nylon threads.

Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Locale: NEOH

Thanks for the feedback!

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

Check out this thread: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/91733/

Just today I started experimenting with the technique mentioned near the end of the thread–heavily diluted acrylic paint–on some scrap pack fabric. Obviously it’s not going to give you as fine a design as drawing with a marker, but maybe you could do a nice watercolor painting? :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools