Topic

Down skirt, anyone?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Down skirt, anyone?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Does anyone find an insulated skirt useful in the winter?  I enjoy wearing yoga shorts or tights with a skirt when I’m hiking, but I’m not sure about winter hiking/snowshoeing.  I haven’t been snowshoeing yet this winter, and I forget how it goes.  I was thinking about tights + wind pants for snowshoeing this week-end, but I also have a winter skills class where we’ll be throwing ourselves down hills practicing self arrest, and for that, a skirt is NOT a good idea.

Jay D
    BPL Member

@moonshae

EE has a “snow wrap” that’s synthetic, but basically an insulated skirt. I’ve worn a kilt in the heat, and it’s great for staying ventilated, but I can’t imagine being that drafty in the winter. I’d have to be running super warm, and I don’t, generally.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

I have seen gals running and nordic skiing with tights and skirt, and my first thought is always, “Why?”.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

They’re pretty popular up here in Alaska among women skiers and as a warm accessory – say, on the way to yoga class in tights – one can add a puffy jacket and a down skirt and be warmer than with the jacket alone.  My wife also uses it to dress-up the yoga or ski clothes a bit, say if she’s going to stop by her office on the way and would be under-dressed in tights only.  A standard office skirt would look odd with the bright ski tights, while the more casual look of the down skirt goes with the tights underneath.  She doesn’t wear it to see patients, but if she stops in to review charts or for a meeting with partners.

Full pants would be warmer, but they’re also more restrictive to skiing motions and the local paradigm is that donning or doffing a down skirt isn’t getting dressed or undressed – it’s akin to putting on a hat or jacket that you can do on the trail, in front of other people.

There are several lengths and I see the shorter ones on the ski trails, and the longer ones worn by spectators at outdoor school sports events or while shopping around town.

George F
    BPL Member

@gfraizer13

Locale: Wasatch

My wife bike commutes year round and has a puffy skirt that she loves when the weather gets cold.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

Not yet, but being a hiking dress/skirt enthusiast, it’s the logical next step for me.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I wished I had had one for sitting around camp on the backpacking trip I took over Christmas break. It was really cold and it would have been like wearing a sleeping bag on your legs but with the ability to walk around easily. My partner has down pants but I think a skirt would be more versatile because you can put it on/take it off easily without taking your shoes off.

https://www.skhoop.us/collections/down-skirts/

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Diane: maybe that’s part of why they’re so popular here – yes, you can put it on / take it off without removing your shoes, but more so, without removing your skies, snow boots, or snow shoes.   My go-to piece of clothing for Nordic skiing in CA where the temps change a lot during the day was full-zip, fleece-lined shell pants that I could don or doff while standing on my skies.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

I think you could make a skirt out of one of those cosco quilts as a pretty easy sewing project. Pants that you could put on with skis on could also work as a fairly easy project if you made them like this: https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-sew-summer-wrap-around-pants/
    Maybe add velcro to keep it more secure around your legs.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

A reminder to everyone: your sleeping bag / quilt can be worn during the cold morning as a skirt / serape.  It keeps you warmer in the morning chill and it helps air-out and dry-out the quilt.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I have never been a skirt or dress person, I don’t see the appeal, but everyone is different. MONTBELL has made some over the years and REI .I guess just try it and see.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I don’t have a down skirt for skiing, but I want one. I have a fake fill one that someone gave me, and I love it for skiing, over ski pants. It’s  short and loose enough that it doesn’t inhibit movement, but still keeps the thighs and cheeks from feeling like bricks of ice. I’m even further north than David, and the skirts are also popular here. Pants or tights just aren’t enough, even at full speed. These are good items to look for used, because many people decide they don’t like them or want a more fashionable one, so lots of skirts sitting in closets. I haven’t found a down one for sale though.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

A blokes question for the ladies; why a skirt and not a wrap around sarong type?

A wrap-around would be almost one size fits most.

My beloved wife is always whinging about being too hot or too cold but when I suggested a Thinsulate skirt she laughed at me [ we have lots and lots of Thinsulate] and told me not to be ridiculous.

Personally I prefer a tabard or cape but I can see how a skirt would work

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

A sarong? Would fall off or restrict movement, depending on design. The skirt in my photo can be zipped all the way down for warmth when stationary or unzipped from the bottom for better stride. It’s extremely light weight as well.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Generally a wrap-around skirt overlaps about 1/3. That’s a lot of added bulk if the skirt is insulated. Also if you have ever worn a wrap-around skirt you’d know that in wind they sometimes blow open if there’s not sufficient overlap.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools