Topic

Down parka for cold SO

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Down parka for cold SO

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Viktor S
    Spectator

@viktorsodd

I am researching down parkas for my SO who’s birthday is next month. She currently has a Norröna Lyngen 750 Hood (405g / 170g of 750 fill power down) that is on it’s last breath. She is constantly cold no matter the climate so my goal is for the new piece to be as warm or warmer but also as light as possible. The parka will be used as a camp piece and it can at that point be layered under a wind/rain jacket, meaning durability is less of an issue even if a plus.

On a side note she will also be getting down pants and booties, so any input there is welcome as well. Those pieces will not be brought on serious hikes and therefore don’t require the same due diligence.

The options I’ve found

Montbell Mirage Parka – 377g / 160g of 900fp down / box-baffled

This is my top pick right now, however it is the priciest and the heaviest. I would expect it to be at warmer than her current piece. Downsides are fragile fabric, and only available in a men’s model. However, if it makes her happier on trail and saves weight compared to today (28g), it might be a win.

Cumulus Mountlite – 375g / 170g of 900fp down / sewn-through

This is a good pick as well from a local (Europe) manufacturer. Cheaper than the Montbell. Slightly heavier face fabric. Not really sure how the numbers add up honestly compared to the MB.

Norröna Lyngen 850 – 338g / 170g of 850fp down / sewn-through

An updated model of her current jacket. Lightest so far and should be slightly warmer than her current jacker. This is also the cheapest option due to discounts I have available, but also a bit boring.

Rab Zero G – 290g / 130g of 1000fp down / sewn-through

The lightest option and in theory as warm as her current jacket. This would be pretty awesome if it were true, but I suspect the supposed 1000fp down doesn’t live up to the hype.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Viktor S
    Spectator

@viktorsodd

Haha – since I don’t explicitly state it in the OP – I’m looking for input and real life experience regarding which jacket will make the best gift.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Since it is a gift for a significant other, if budget is no constraint, I personally would lean toward Rab or Patagonia or Arcteryx. The tricky part is knowing whether the sizing of the brand will fit. So the brand’s return policy might also play a role.  In my experience, down packs up smaller and gram for gram is warmer that synthetic insulation. But synthetic pieces cost less, keep you warm in wet falling snow, and are usually easier to dry out during the trip than down.

“The parka will be used as a camp piece and it can at that point be layered under a wind/rain jacket, meaning durability is less of an issue even if a plus.”

Just a side point: A common practice when snow camping or mountaineering is to put the down puffy or synthetic puffy over the hard shell parka.  When there is a lot of wind, this practice prevents the wind chill that can happen taking off the hardshell to put on the puffy. Also, when you start to move again for example in the morning when breaking camp, you just pack up the puffy and are ready to go.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Might consider Feathered Friends EOS.

255g / 80g of 900+ (I think).  Love mine.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have an Eddie Bauer Peak XV -30 F. expedition parka and got it on a 45% off sale for around $230. Lots of features inside and outside and great quality. The outer fabric is very tough, if a bit heavier than standard ripstop.

LL Bean now sells its Big Puffer baffled parka and it may be on sale right now or soon. Excellent quality.

I got a pair of 750 fill down, full separating side zip pants from AMAZON. Chinese made and Chinese company but very good quality of construction and materials. The cuffs have heavier fabric both inside and outside. Order ONE SIZE LARGER. Black is the only color available. There is only one Chinese company offering full side zip down pants on AMAZON.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Being only a few weeks out it may be too late, but I would suggest contacting Ben at GooseFeet Gear and get everything custom. Plus, you can match the jacket to the top ants and booties!

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

“She is constantly cold no matter the climate”

Then I strongly suggest avoiding anything sewn-thru.

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

Just bought my wife a Rab Positron Pro to replace an MEC jacket that self destructed. Ended up with a men’s small as the women’s were all sold out. Turned out that it fits her well and is great at -30. We’ve been using\ wearing Rab gear for more than twenty years and have been consistently pleased with the quality.

also check Taigaworks.com for down gear.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

If weight is not the most important thing, for $100 less and only 2.7 oz more, the Montbell Alpine Parka is significantly warmer than the Mirage.

When comparing Montbell down parkas, make certain to check their down insulation guide graphic (halfway down the page above).

Viktor S
    Spectator

@viktorsodd

Thanks for all the input everyone! Unfortunately most of the cottage options are out of reach due to us living in Sweden, resulting in high import costs and a longer delivery. I’m going through that process now with a Seek Outside DCF Cimarron and it’s no joke how the costs add up (basically +40%).

As it stands now I’m heavily leaning towards the extra insurance box-baffles offers as JCT mentioned even though it’s debatable at these weights. I’ll most likely order one of Montbell’s BB parka’s but provide her with the spreadsheet I’ve created as well as this thread should she wish to exchange it.

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

Just wondering why you didn’t look at any PHDesigns gear?

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

One of the warmest and best parkas on the planet is Feathered Friends Rock and Ice with 652+ grams of high quality down.  I have the older FF Icefall parka with 15.3 ozs of down and it accompanies me on every winter backpacking trip.  Warmth with down comes with more weight, logically.

Oops, new updates on the numbers—Current Rock and Ice has 582 grams; 20 ozs.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

If your SO really feels the cold why not buy them the warmest coat you can?
    https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/products/oslo/oslo-duvet-down-jacket-women/?color=2295
    If cost is an issue get them a new down pullover and a light synthetic and layer them together, just make sure they do layer well and are not too tight.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

While others experience may be different I have found that any jacket or parka with a technical fit will not be as warm as one with a more relaxed fit, the loose fit traps more air between layers.
    Also sometimes something old fashioned such as a Cashmere jumper might work better to give an instant feeling of warmth even if the Clo value isn’t as great as a high-loft garment.

David Colbert
    BPL Member

@adkphoto

Locale: Central, New York

I love my Mirage parka.  It’s very very warm and the box construction makes a big difference.  But, the light fabrics and high fill power let’s it pack small. Much warmer than my Western Mountaineering Flash. It also is sized more for layering where the Flash is more true to size.  I’ve used the Mirage comfortably around camp in below zero F temperatures.  Highly recommended.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools