Topic

Down jacket/parka recommendations?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Down jacket/parka recommendations?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Hayden W
    BPL Member

@regularmop

I’ll try and keep this short and sweet, I’m looking for a down jacket/parka recommendation for paragliding and to double up to be able to sleep in it under a 50 degree synthetic quilt at night in 10 degree Temps being the absolute coldest I’ll see(probably more arouns 25f). I can’t find what Temps such jackets are comfortable while not active at all. I would’ve lept for the grade vii had it still been available, for its durability, warmth and weight, which are my main considerations. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Dustin V
    BPL Member

@dustinv

That’s an interesting use case. What kind of paragliding-specific features are you looking for? Durability under the harness? Good vertical range of arm motion?

Hayden W
    BPL Member

@regularmop

Dustin,

Yea paragliding has forced me into the ultralight game with all of its interesting parameters. As far as paragliding specific usage tho there isn’t too much weirdly. Considerations for paragliding:

Water-resistance: sometimes in Alaska I’m forced to fly near or in clouds, and clouds are WET!

Windproof/wind resistant: paraglidings windy lol, the meteics are typically 20mph wind. I’m just worried I don’t know the proper balance between breathability/dry out times, and weather resistance.

The following qualities are all quality of life ideals, preferred but not deal breakers:

Full length zip

Sleeves that cover wrists(it’s down here cause I have down gloves go down most of the forearm.)

Breast pockets

Erik H
    BPL Member

@telemonster

Locale: pacific northwest

Check out the Patagonia Alploft. It’s their new take on the grade 7. https://www.patagonia.com/product/alploft-down-parka/85600.html

Also check out Rab

Eric K
    BPL Member

@gwudude

Locale: PNW

PHD would also be a good one to consider.

Hayden W
    BPL Member

@regularmop

Thanks Eric H, yea I was looking at that, but from other sites I perused it seemed like people weren’t as stoked on that in comparison. Do you have an experience with it? Do you know what temp it would be warm at if you were inactive?

Hayden W
    BPL Member

@regularmop

Erik k, thanks for the reply :) are you talking about the phd yukon? Or a different jacket?

Eric K
    BPL Member

@gwudude

Locale: PNW

Hi Hayden, I like PHD jackets in general. I have had two of their K series down garments, a vest and a jacket, and have been extremely satisfied with their workmanship. They may not have the bells and whistles of other jackets, but they are outstanding garments.

Robert F
    BPL Member

@rmfinn3

Montbell Alpine Down Parka. Not the Alpine LIGHT Down Parka. If you buy from the Montbell JP website the pricing is very competitive. I wouldn’t want to try and take that below freezing w/ a 50degree quilt. But there aren’t many down jackets that are really going to do that.

Hayden W
    BPL Member

@regularmop

Sick! Thanks Eric k,

I’ll check them out, I was for sure impressed with the down they use. Do you have any guess based on your experience on any of the jackets of what temp they’re comfortable at when you’re not active at all? Like around base camp or reading or something

Hayden W
    BPL Member

@regularmop

Thanks for the shout Robert F, after hearing about how much care Montebell took with their breathable jackets I definitely like them more. Yea I think that premise is a hard box to tick, but reading the big down parka review on backpackinglight the kumbu by feathered friends seemed like it would overperform. But yea only my gungho tests will really tell :) my theory is sitting in the wind flying is only going to be marginally warmer than it will be at night when I’m so close to the sea, hopefully that’ll pan out. Thanks so much for the beta on where to find the deals too! Ultralight is bullying my bank account

Riley G
    BPL Member

@rgriffin

I second the Montbell Alpine Down Parka, I estimate I could comfortably sit around in the 20s with minimal layering and still be warm (probably not for a full night though). Unfortunately, it looks like it is currently sold out on Montbell’s Japan site. I got mine for $133 USD (US site had it listed for $330) back in October. The yen has gotten stronger since then, and they have raised prices slightly, but the deals are still pretty great on the Japanese site, if they have things in stock that is.

Hayden W
    BPL Member

@regularmop

Thanks Riley G, I looked into them for a second and the jackets their selling look great, I think I’d be more apt to go with the permafrost (the one jacket warmer parka) for its total fill weight combined with the gore Infinium material that I’m a fan of. I wish it came with a better quality down, and the fit seems slightly short based on the model for a parka, but other than those small things I think that fits the bill :) I’ll look into it more, hopefully it’s going to be the one

Hayden W
    BPL Member

@regularmop

As far as seeing if the jackets are warm enough, I’m just flying by the seat of my pants and comparing down fill weight + quality, to the amount a jacket and pants have and trying to get those nunbers to align. the main reasons i’m including a even including a quilt in the first place is comfort, to move the dew point out of my down clothes at night to help loft/warmth, and hopefully to make it so the jacket is wearable for a variety of flying conditions and not overkill. Tho my leading theory still is if the layers are warm enough to fly in, they should be warm enough to sleep in inside a tent.  Anyways if yall would have any suggestions on my metrics for judging if the coats are warm enough I’d love to hear it, teach a dude to fish and all. Anyways thanks so much for the responses thus far, I love how much this community nerds out about gear.

Riley G
    BPL Member

@rgriffin

Hayden, comparing down fill weight and quality will probably be your only way to estimate between jackets, which is difficult when most companies don’t publish the fill weight. Having a proper fit, and a hem/ cuffs/ hood that seal well will also affect warmth between models. Montbell also sells the Mirage, which has 900FP I believe, but only has a 10D shell fabric. Good luck with your search.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools