Topic

Double, wide, not long, quiet, inflatable pad?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Double, wide, not long, quiet, inflatable pad?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

My wife and I have discovered we would much rather share a pad than use 2 different pads. Wondering if there are any tolerably light, wide but not long double pads? Anything between 45″ and 52″ at the head and up to 42″ at the foot (has to fit in a standard 2 person tent). Don’t want extra long because we are 60″ and 70″ tall, and having some floor space to pile our crap at the head is nice. Probably also not worth buying if it’s ridiculously loud because I’ll roll a lot keeping her awake.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

You don’t want 2 different pads because because of the gap / dip in the center?  What about 2 or 3 pads run left-to-right instead of top-to-bottom?  I think a side-to-side dip(s) would be less objectionable than one running from top to bottom.   Pads being 19-20-21 inches wide, you could use short pads as long as you want the total pad to be wide: with a mid-length, 52″-ish one run sideways under your shoulders and possibly another under your hips and a shorter, 42″ one run from your knees to her knees.  You could also tweak the thickness and R-value in the different pads.

I’ve got some extra-wide pads but they are not at all UL.  Several UL pads would give more coverage for less total weight.

Doing it with 3 pads will weigh 50% than just joining two vertical pads, but you would get more coverage out of it and avoid that vertical joint.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Exped makes some

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

I saw exped has a narrow one and also a long wide one, but did not see a standard length wide. I just don’t understand the whole long & wide thing. Wide people and people who want good sleep are not necessarily all tall, and 20″ width per person is ridiculous. Who is that narrow?  (I bought my first pad before camping and discovering it’s not fun shlooping over the edges lol)

3 short pads sideways would probably be heavier than a long-wide and I think they could shift down and up unless I find some way to tie them together. And 2 of them would need to be wide to get enough length.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

Klymit makes the Double V. I’ve seen it for sale a few times on Massdrop.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

I’m afraid of klymit after a friend slept on a deflated one all night. Was probably just a fluke though. I see a 47″x74″ Klymit on Amazon for only $120 but that’s rectangular so the fit may be tight. And 40.5 oz for I’m assuming the uninsulated version. But it’s only $120…

Looks like I’m stuck with either narrow or weirdly long. Longer is better than falling off. The Exped SynMat HL Duo LW is a ghastly $300 but looks like it might be the ultimate pad on the market. Reviews say it’s not TOO noisy also.

Shane B
    BPL Member

@shane87

Let us bump this. I am in the same boat. My wife and I tried the Nemo tensor ultralight pads. We only slept on them 2 nights but they were loud. They say they will get quieter but is that true? We also had one pad slipping over and under the other.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

The BA Q-Core SLX comes in a double, but not wide. 32oz.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Q-Core-SLX_2

S2S apparently makes a wide one (50”W x 72”) but it is a plush pig of a pad (5lb!!!)

https://www.backcountry.com/sea-to-summit-comfort-plus-si-sleeping-pad

They say they will get quieter but is that true?

I can’t speak for all pad (def not Neoair!) but my BA q-core got quieter with use. Not quiet, but quieter.

One more thought: take two reasonably light wide pads, and top them with a 4’x6’x.25” EVA foam pad. This will add about 1R of insulation, eliminate the gap in the middle, make moving around a bit quieter regardless of pad, and add about 1lb to your pack weight.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Big Agnes SLX tent floor might be worth a look.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools