Topic

Double stitching pack’s main seams

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Double stitching pack’s main seams

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

So, if you sew two lines of stitching on pack seams how does that make it stronger? Won’t the first (innermost) line of stitching take all the force and the second line do nothing?

Is it just in case the first line fails so there’s something to keep a gap/hole from opening up?

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Yes. Redundancy is a good thing in pack seams.  Also, if you fell seams, load is transferred into the second line of stitches.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

A second row farther in helps stop fraying. Even better is binding the seam.

Top stitching spreads the force out on both rows.

If you have weak thread, running the second stitch line on top of the first can make it stronger (unless you have weak fabric too).

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Good info, thanks. I’ve been doing a second line of stitching with zigzag to stop fraying (a tip I got from Paul McLaughlin on here).

Felled seams / topstitching would be harder to do. Maybe I’ll experiment with it next time. With MYOG packs there’s always a next time, right? :)

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

“Next time” is the best part about MYOG – well that and the lower cost of good equipment that you custom make to fit your needs :)

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

“…lower cost of good equipment” only lasts till you get that nicer sewing machine!

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Doug,

With a flexible, and certainly a woven fabric, a second line of stitching will spread the force between the two stitch lines.  Unless you are doing a peel, which would be asking for trouble,  I think.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Sam, what is a peel? I am not familiar with that terminology.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

peel – the two pieces of fabric pulled apart – all stress on one row of stitches

shear – the two piece of fabric pulled sideways – all rows of stitches share load, friction of fabric against fabric also helps

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Wouldn’t the seams in a pack be doing a peel? (first I’ve heard that term!)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

some seams peel, some shear

if you sewed a pocket onto a pack, it’s peel

if you sewed fabric into a cylindrical shape, with flat felled seam, it’s shear

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

I don’t plan on using flat-felled seams and I think most commercial packs don’t use them either. So are regular seams, even if there are two lines of stitching, “doing a peel”?

If so, the force is not spread to the second line of stitches…unless the first line of stitches fails, it would seem to me.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Doug, it is the flexibility of, say, a nylon fabric that spreads or distributes force throughout a lap or flat felled seam, or even a faux felled seam.  Perhaps not so much with less flexible, non woven dyneema fabrics, but think the force on one line of stitching would still be shared with the other line.

One has to be creative with pack seams.  Even with tunnel tents, Roger Caffin has posted illustrations of the seams he designs for attaching pole sleeves.  Pack fabric is heavier, so one can take liberties in designing the seams; but I think two rows of stitching are better, if only for the reason you mentioned; to hold things together if one seam fails.

It is probably just as important to have some seams that show only internally, as the exterior of the pack is where the abrasion occurs that can shred a seam.  I seem to remember there are articles, or at least links to articles, on BPL about seams.  I get the impression from the forums that many are joining dyneema fabrics with tapes these days.  I think it is a matter of ‘do what you know’ to get the best results.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I have had french seams fail.  Two rows of stitches.  The first row ripped out, then the second row took the load.

It’s at least good until I get back home.  Then I can sew the first row back again.

But I use flat felled seam on pack (that is, faux flat felled)

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

As pack fabric gets lighter perhaps it becomes more important to use some for of felled or top sewn seam? I have had canoe portage packs that use a standard seam still fine after twenty years but they use a combination 500D/1000D Cordura. Many years ago I made a pack from 30D silnylon, sticthing was fine, fabric failed around the stitches.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

yeah, lighter fabric must make seams more critical.  And other techniques.

back in the bad old days, they used heavy fabric, heavy thread, problem solved

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools