Topic

Double midlayers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Double midlayers

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

I put this question in a couple other threads and didn’t get any bites. I also have done many hours of searching online and can’t find even one instance of what I thought would be extremely common.

Anyone double mid-layers, fleece under puffy? Seems like the logical solution when one isn’t enough but you want to be ready for a range of situations (hiking layer, cool stop layer, double layers for cold, sleeping layer, etc) rather than buying a dedicated cold weather coat that won’t be used very often nor be as versatile. One then has the option to pack light in cool weather, but bring more in cold weather (maybe 30-45F) when you are likely gonna be resigned to a slightly heavier pack anyway.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I don’t like fleece, not very warm for the weight

I often do a 5 ounce synthetic vest and either a 5 or 8 ounce down vest depending on how cold it is.

I don’t like 2 mid layers because of the weight of extra fabric, but a vest has maybe 1 square yard, inner and outer 0.7 ounce fabric plus 0.5 ounce for a zipper = an extra 2 ounces.

But, I like the extra synthetic layer because it retains warmth when wet unlike down.  I can wear it while hiking if it’s really cold and if it gets a little sweaty it will still work.  Down is better for main warmth because it weighs less.  I’ll take the hit of 2 extra ounces.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

I do understand not liking the weight of a fleece, and I actually just ordered my first ones (as mentioned in the other thread), but it seems the usefulness of the garment outweighs the extra 5 or 6 ounces. It’s just so much more useful as a jacket day to day, partly because they tend not to be ugly like puffy jackets. and partly because if I sweat a ton in my puffy (day-to-day includes quite a bit of bike riding in “street clothes”) it gets soggy. It’s synthetic but it still loses loft and gets soggy. It also sticks to my arms if I’m wearing short sleeves underneath. It’s better for hiking. I don’t overheat very fast just walking around until the grade goes up for a while.

All that said, I’ve never tried a wind shirt (never even heard of one until a few days ago), but that might be something to try instead of a jacket or fleece for walking and riding.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Aaron, I often carry a lightweight fleece as well as a puffy.  IME, it’s a warm and versatile combination.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

What do you consider lightweight, and how cold can you go in camp with both?

I bought mid weight (~13 oz) just cuz I figure if I’m bringing it at all it’s gonna be cold and I’d rather carry an extra few ounces than be uncomfortable sitting in camp when I most want to be comfy. But Idk, it may be overkill for snowless climates. I know I was sitting around a fire on new years eve in the low 40s with a medium weight base layer and nano puff and had to wrap my quilt around me it was so cold. Then again, the nano puff isn’t the warmest insulation, but it’s what I have.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

The fleece is just a simple half-zip pullover that weighs 8 oz.  My current puffy is a First Ascent synthetic that weighs 11.6 oz.  I’m good to around 30F wearing these two over a base layer.

But everyone is different.  Personally, I’d just go with what you have and gain some experience with it.  You’ll know soon enough if you need to make some changes.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I have a couple fleece vests I wear when not backpacking, weight doesn’t matter then

Many people like fleece when backpacking

Anonymous
    Inactive

A decent solution, or so I found, was taking the lightest/thinnest Apex insulation, and lining it with very air permeable fabrics, so that it’s very easy to blow or suck air through all 3 layers simultaneously.

Then, make it vest like, and with only insulation on the front. As long as my core is warm, I’m good.

I sometimes bring such pieces when I know I will be hiking in temps around 15*F or colder.

The easiest (though not lightest) way one can do this, is to take two inexpensive, thin, breathable, fast drying and wicking sleeveless shirts. One the size you normally wear, and one a size up.  Put some thin Apex in between the two front parts, and sew up the sides as high as you can go and also across the bottom.  You don’t even really need to sew the rest of the two shirts together, if you don’t want to.

Voila, pretty quick, fairly inexpensive, decently lightweight, active insulation piece.  I’ve done this method, and also the from scratch method using very light nylons. The latter is definitely lighter, but takes more time and care to get it right.

I think my lightest, front insulated only vest, was around 2.8 oz or so.  Hence, doesn’t really bother me weight wise.

Fleece is better when it’s constantly wet and cool.  But even better than polyester fleece in those conditions, is fleeced polypropylene as a midlayer ; ) ; )

(Course, I’m just peeing in the wind like usual).

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I don’t really care for fleece. I have a couple items made from it origonally purchased to replace my old down jacket. But, they do not match the warmth and comfort range of down for the same weight. For layering, a couple shirts work pretty well for hiking.

For multiple layers, I use my night shirt. This is usually a midweight long sleeved Merino wool one (either Smartwool at about 10oz or Minus33 at about 11oz.) Layer that over a synthetic hiking shirt, usually poly, sometimes nylon. Over that I can use my rain jacket down to about 30-40F while moving.  I never use my down jacket unless I stop to camp.

Serge Giachetti
    BPL Member

@giachett

Locale: boulder, co

Good thread. Really depends on the season, but in the colder 3 seasons I typically have a midlayer and a puffy. Patagonia nano airs (light hybrid or regular) get used a lot on the move (mornings, evenings, ridges, weather etc) and then I layer a puffy over that when it’s really cold, stopped or at camp. The first mid needs to breath well, help pull moisture away from your baselayer with body heat/sun, and offer moderate weather protection. I think the nano airs do this exceptionally well and are comfortable across a wide range. Fleece is good for the same thing, but the lack of any wind protection makes that system a little too complicated for me. Lots of good options out there. Most gear works fine and some works better.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have woken to a MUCH colder morning than anticipated and just put another fleece t-neck over my long handled polyester base layer top and then my sweater and puffy. Worked great.

Hey, whatever it takes to stay warm. A fashion show I ain’t when backpacking.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools