Topic

Don't Panic: Permethrin linked to heart disease deaths

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Don't Panic: Permethrin linked to heart disease deaths

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

A recent study looked at more than 2,000 US adults who had their urine tested once for pyrethroid metabolites (permethrin is the most common kind of pyrethroid), then roughly 14 years later looked at heart attacks, cancer, and all causes of death. The subjects with the highest levels of pyrethroid were 3 times more likely to die of heart disease.

HOWEVER – the study had many limitations, including a relatively small number of people who died from heart attacks, and it didn’t prove causation. Pending more research, limiting your exposure to permethrin might be a good idea, or maybe switching to DEET (which has its own problems). On the other hand, getting Lyme Disease or any of the dozens of other insect-carried diseases is a known and serious hazard to your health.

Personally, I’ll continue to apply permethrin to hiking clothes, packs, and tents following Sawyer’s directions, or use factory-treated clothing. Don’t spray it on your body!

JAMA Internal Medicine study, with some interesting comments:
    https://dx.doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2019.6019

Consumer Reports readable summary with background plus advice on limiting your exposure:
    https://www.consumerreports.org/pesticides-herbicides/common-pesticides-linked-to-heart-disease-risks-in-new-study/

— Rex

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

The US government issued stuff (a soaking treatment) came in a kit with gloves.  We were told not to touch the stuff in any way, and not to use it on t-shirts, underwear briefs/drawers, etc. I think it’s a matter of weighing risk in “buggy” type areas..

Think I’d go with more grilled chicken and fish vs the potential for Lyme disease, etc..

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

“JAMA Internal Medicine study, with some interesting comments:”

The article is vague as to whether the population sampled was exposed to pyrethroids designed for agricultural applications or treatment of clothing.  I think that information would be important for us to know when deciding whether or not to treat our clothing.  The agricultural version is designed to be easily absorbed by insects, whereas the version used to treat clothing is designed to bind to fabric fibers.  It seems to me this would make a significant difference in its effect on humans.  Does anybody have information on whether this difference was considered when they designed their study?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools