Topic

Dog Sleep Systems.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Paul D
    BPL Member

@paulieva

Title says it all.  I have an AmStaff mix, smooth and short hair so you can see skin)  After fiddling around with different systems due to weight and compressibility, this is what I have tried. I know Ryan had posted a discussion on this topic a few years back, is it relevant still?.

I have used with a foam mat (R2) with the following:

1- Chukit, with a blanket 30 oz.  and not very compressible

2- Wilderdog Sleeping bag 28oz and Ruffwear Stumptown Jacket About 40 oz. total and not compressible enough.  My Dog loves the bag though.  It really is a well made bag.

3- Latest permutation is the Whyld River Sleeping bag ( https://whyld-river.com/collections/sleeping-bags/products/whyld-rivers-ul-sleeping-bag-liner ) and Hurtta body warmer suit ( https://www.hurtta247.com/product-page/body-warmer ).  It come in at about 17 ounces total.  It also compresses nicely and takes up about half of a 8L dry bag.  He carries all of his stuff.

If it gets super chilly Dan Timmerman is manufacturing a 36×30 Climashield blanket (Spec’d for 8 oz or less) to use.

What do you have to say?  I would love to hear ideas.

BTW, Mods stated that they will open up a pet forum provided they get more participation.  I haven’t seen one on here so I emailed them.

nunatak
    BPL Member

@roamer

Less than ten ounces including pad. Baffled 900 goose down with waterproof inside fabric.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/FtnJtxBtqcM

The dog pictured has slept warm down to 0°F with removable Apex winter cover, and he has a total of 30 nights probably. He gets cold at home below 70°F so this comes along even in summer

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

What a great video, and a great expression on your pup’s face!

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Locale: Kalispell

Pepper is using the Nunatak sleep system with great success. During a 100+ mile snowshoe trip across the bob last year I had to throw a hot water bottle in with her to dry her out one night. She is also using a cut to fit z lite pad that doubles as a lunchtime sit pad for me.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

These are some happy and warm looking dogs.

Paul D
    BPL Member

@paulieva

I went the body warmer/ bag route so he has something to wear when it’s cold and he is out and about.

nunatak
    BPL Member

@roamer

Tom m: Wow! What month was that? No resupply? What was the snow like? Big pack?

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Locale: Kalispell
    Randall Dee
    BPL Member

@speyguy

Locale: Cascadia

I already bring my 1/8 eva foam pad @ 2.6 oz. It does double duty as I get to lounge on it at camp. At bed time I fold it for a sleeping pad for my dog and she wears the Groundbird Gear Turtle Top. I love it, because it doesn’t matter if she tosses and turns at night, it stays attached and just drapes over her. Weighs 5.3oz.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Awwww she looks warm and content. What a beautiful coat! (Meaning her fur). Nice sleep system too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools