Topic

Does this pack exist?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Does this pack exist?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Have a pack in mind that I want but not sure if itś out there…

Basically would be something the size of the Gossamer Gear Kumo, but with a large pocket on one side and a second pocket on the other like their Mariposa. Would want it to have a roll top closure & frameless.  Any pack out there that Im missing like this? I know there are some custom shops I could go to but they can get $$$$$.

Thanks!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Superior Wilderness Designs will make a pack like that for not much than a Kumo will set you back.

Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Yah I talked to them. Actually have had them make a pack for me in the past a really liked it. Two issues, I like my pockets to have elastic on the top and they’re only going to shock cord closures which I’m not a huge fan off…also wish they had some other color options in lightweight fabric for the main body of the pack.

Still may end up going with them since those aren’t real breakers in the end

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Gotcha. I don’t know it this helps but I recently bought a used MLD pack and the previous owner seemed to have tied a knot in the shockcord and then cut off the excess and the cordlock. It is possible that is how MLD used to finish their front pockets. Either way, it’s cleaner and basically just an elastic top but replaceable.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Back in 2006, GG used to offer a MiniPosa with removeable stays. I still have and use mine. It had the same pocket arrangement as the Mariposa, but weighed in at 15oz. While they no longer make the pack, it might be possible to find one on a used list somewhere. I still use mine with minor repairs, of course. I believe it was a 40L or 45L pack…or around 3200-3500ci.

I have looked at packs since (I have over a dozen of the things, assuming a pack carries the weight, I NEVER do.) But haven’t found a viable alternative at <16oz. ZPacks offers an add-on pouch that will go on the sides of most packs. MLD offers a Stow Pouch that could be adapted as an upper pouch but is small.

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

Chris Zimmer can build you just about anything.

Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Thats cool! Didnt know that was a pack in the past. Any idea what they have in the works for their packs in 2019?

Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Forgot about him…may reach out, thanks!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Chris Zimmer does make a very nice pack and is extremely accommodating. He works quickly. My custom Pika pack from him took maybe 10 days from order to arrival last November.

Longshot: I wonder if ULA would be willing to put an extra pocket on a CDT? I’ve never heard of them doing that but it might be worth asking. They put Ohm compression and a removable waist belt on a CDT for me.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Sorry, Steve. We had a parting of the ways when he switched from Ambassadors to “Brand Ambassadors.” I am not particularly loyal to them, or anyone, who can not make good, light hiking gear. I have had a half dozen of their packs and rather thoroughly understand their strong points…and their failings. Yes, I agree, packs really need a third pocket even if you simply use it to carry a ziplock of garbage in there. LNT means you MUST haul out your garbage and I far prefer it to NOT be mixed into my food bag or on my quilt.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools