Topic

Does Sil Seam Sealer Work As Glue?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Does Sil Seam Sealer Work As Glue?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

If I wanted to attach a Zpacks Stick-on Mitten Hook to silnylon, would sil seam sealer work as glue to hold it on?

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Locale: Santa Barbara

I don;t have personal experience, but in general silicone sticks to silicone and not much else.  Somehow they get the silicone impregnated into nylon to make silnylon, but I would say its a long shot.  If you were to try it I would guess it would work better if you thinned it first with white gas or the other recommended solvent (listed on Tarptent’s website under seam sealing instructions.

Just thinking, a secure way to attach to silnylon is sewing.  If you did that, then seam sealed over it, you would be good to go.  But depending on your intended application in terms of weight, maybe not a great idea.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I have a sil Locus Gear Hapi Grande on order with the matching inner. We do a lot of car camping with my scout troop and I’m tall, so it’s nice having the space.

For backpacking, one option I was considering was a bug bivy. Since this is a pyramid tent, it’s designed for the inner to have 1 upper attachment point using the pole.  Bug bivies have the 2 lines at either end to lift the mesh.  I was thinking of adding mitten hooks to the walls for that.

Another, probably better option is to get the Locus Gear Khufu 1/2 mesh inner or a MLD Solomid XL inner since those are designed for a tent like the Hapi.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The Zpacks description states that the stick-ons will not stick to Silnylon.

You could build your own with McNetts Tenacious Tape and a mitten hook with a bit of cord attached.

Since you have your Mid on order, perhaps Locus Gear would add some loops for you on the inside?

When I use my bug bivy in the Sierra Nevada, I just use my hat to keep the net off my face. And after the mosquitoes go away, I often just unzip it and sleep on top of it.
    Cheers.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I know the Zpacks stick on won’t stick as-is, but I was wondering if applying seam sealer to the stick-on would work to glue it to the silnylon.

Since the only thing that matters with a bug bivy is that it’s lifted upward, I probably could run both lines to the top of trekking pole.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@Brad Sorry, I misunderstood your original question.  Tenacious Tape does stick well to silnylon. It might support a mitten hook with a bit of cord to increase the surface area under the tape like Zpacks does in the stick on.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Thanks, Bruce!  Still weighing my options.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Perhaps pinch a bit of the fabric with something smooth and round on the inside and lash it on?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools