Topic

Does anyone wanna make my dog a sleeping bag?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Does anyone wanna make my dog a sleeping bag?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    drew doty
    BPL Member

@saltyotter

<p style=”text-align: center;”>So I got a new dog and I want to take her backpacking but I would love to have a warm bag for her to sleep in. I’m obviously willing to pay you for your time and for any materials you use and was looking at getting a rectangle shaped sleeping bag made with some kind of  High quality  synthetic insulation and a robust inner and outer fabric with a zipper.  I definitely don’t have the skills to do something like this and honestly I can’t find any companies that make something like this. Nunatuk  did and said they were going to re-release them this spring but they have yet to do so. So if you’re looking to make some money and help out a dog this may be a good opportunity for both of us.</p>

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Drew,
    I’ve been hiking with dogs for many years, almost 20 with Shetland Sheep Dogs and an old stray from a shelter who looked like a golden colored wolf.  She had spent most of her life in the wild, and lived only 3 years with me, so decided to switch to younger shelties, both rescued if possible, or from breeders, so they could be with me longer (10-12 years).  Even so, it has been hard when they reach the end.

With shelties, as well as the stray, they do not like to be cooped up in a bag, but are fine with a pad that is stiff enough to stay flat on the tent floor, but flexible enough to roll up.  So I made a sandwich of:  1-breathable 2.5 osy Epic on the outside, 2-a layer of primaloft, and 3-an open cell foam stiffener.  When rolled up, the pads, shaped like the submit button below, are waterproof but breathable, so don’t need to be placed in a bag, and attach easily to the  dog packs (usually I trek with two shelties).

The shelties are on the small side, (~ 25-30 lbs at maturity) but athletic enough (they are sheepdogs) to handle anything I can handle; but a larger pad, and a larger tent floor, would be needed for a larger dog.   I wanted a dog small enough to carry out in the event of an accident.  Sometimes they do get a little scared near summits by lightning storms, which can be hard to avoid in Colorado with the storm clouds constantly circling over huge areas.

I don’t seek out windy open areas above timberline for campsites, but in unpredictable weather that can be the only option.  And lower areas can be just as cold.  For three season camping, it can still get pretty cold, maybe down to 15-20F; but the dogs are fine in the tent.  They lose most of their body heat from their bellies, and the heavy fur on top keeps them warm.  Above freezing, they usually don’t want the pads, which then stay attached to their packs.  Well below freezing, a rain jacket or puffy thown over them along with the pads is enough; but that only happens rarely.

Your dog may be larger, and you may be camping in much colder weather, or have a very short haired dog; so maybe you might benefit from a bag, which you would probably need because the dog would throw off a quilt in 3 season weather.  My latest sheltie now has an Aussie sheep dog (mini Australian Shepherd) for a companion and is short haired.  I’ll see if he needs more protection.  He is even smarter than a sheltie if you can believe that.  Came as a small puppy in January, and his house breaking amounted to a total of one small pee on the kitchen rug and a short talk with me.  Amazing.  I’ll add photos of the current dogs as well.

Here is a photo of the last two shelties, now gone to dog heaven, with their packs on.  One has a flexi leash on, because there were a family of mountain goats cavorting at this spot as we climbed up to it.  She was blind in one eye from birth, and spooked more easily.  Below are photos of the current pair, a sheltie and the aussie, as pups:

Happy Trails.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Ruffwear makes a dog sleeping bag, not all that expensive either.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

^Great username for this thread :)

drew doty
    BPL Member

@saltyotter

Sam,   Thanks for the tips and considerations.  I do not know if my dog will tolerate a sleeping bag at the point but I thought I would bring one to see if see would like it.  She is pretty tough and would probably be fine with my jacket thrown on top of her but I wanted be prepared to camp in coldish weather.  ie 20’s at night.  I was kinda looking for something like what you mentioned but with a pocket that I could stuff my ridge rest into.  I did buy a down throw as a cheap alternative, due to its price, packed size, and versatility, but as she moves around at night I see the blanket coming off of her and definitely don’t have space in my sleeping bag for a dog.  I guess only time will tell what she enjoys as far as sleeping arrangements, but id like to have both options in the car to test them out.  I did find a company called “Wishagear” that makes nice sleeping bags with high quality fabrics and Apex.  Kinda pricy but it is hand made.

drew doty
    BPL Member

@saltyotter

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

I think I’ve probably posted this before, but I will occasionally give my puffy to my dog at night. She is a Boxer, with very short fur, and her belly is basically bare. Probably not the ideal trail breed, but hey, there’s more to life than backpacking and I’ve always loved my Boxers. I tie the sleeves loosely around her neck and usually that’s enough, but you can also put a loose strap around the belly. As you can see, she lies on a small piece of CCF, which doubles as a sit pad. This setup keeps her very comfortable well below freezing.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

I’ve been considering this: https://www.groundbirdgear.com/turtle-top-quilt.html

In general, I think a wearable is better for my active sleeping dog, but I wish they had more pictures in different lying positions. I like open-belly puffies for dogs because if they are hot the can spread out or invert to bare the belly and cool off, or curl up and get maximum quilt coverage and al natural belly seal.

Without more photos, I’m not convinced this is better than a well-fitting  est with mesh belly portion. Problem is that the vest might need to be custom to be well-fitting enough. So that’s not helpful;)

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

I forgot to mention that if the dogs do get chilled, they snuggle up against the side of my down sleeping bag to grab some extra warmth.  This usually happens after the middle of the night when the temp is dropping.  Had forgotten about that, as they are back on the tent floor or on their pads by the time daylight comes and I wake up.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

thin foam pad under..buy synthetic throw at costco..cut off some and sew up..doubt dog needs a bag. And leave on the usual coats they wear that can’t move.

Daniel Oxnard
    Spectator

@danieloxnard

Locale: Appalachia

I use a lands end goose-down vest (thrift store $5.00) for my pooch in the winter. She always seems quite toasty with it. Her front legs through the arm holes, then button along her spine. It is baggy, but I tighten it up with mini ping-pong balls (amazon $6.00) and mini butyl rubber bands (cut from a racing bike inner tube = Free from bike store)

I put the ball on inside, and wrap the rubber band around it from outside. 6 on each side.

In emergency situation, I can pop balls out of her jacket, and my ladyfriend has an extra goosedown vest!

https://backpackinglight.com/wp-content/uploads/hm_bbpui/3706533/ri4bun8cxtfzu0eo22wip9ndc7g2qtqy.jpghttps://backpackinglight.com/wp-content/uploads/hm_bbpui/3706533/lmoen35iritgyqs79zbiw04cnfxa7mnw.JPG

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools