Topic

Does Anyone Know if the Suunto Ambit3 Peak Watch is Supported by the Suunto App?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Does Anyone Know if the Suunto Ambit3 Peak Watch is Supported by the Suunto App?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Lowell k
    BPL Member

@drk

I am reading conflicting reports. I read that Movescout for Ambit3 is no longer supported and it is being replaced by the Suunto App. I am also reading that the Suunto App does not support Ambit3 very well and some are suggesting not to purchase the Ambit3. I called Suunto and was told Ambit3 is supported by the Suunto App but I could not get a clear answer on how well that is working.

Does anyone have any accurate information they can share?

Timothy D B
    BPL Member

@tdb67

Locale: Idaho

Just now tried to sync my Ambit3 on my iPad and IPhone using Movescount and it won’t let me do a thing!
    Not sure if the Ambit3 will work with Sunnto’s new app-I’ll try installing it and let you know how it goes.

nunatak
    BPL Member

@roamer

Mine works w the Suunto app.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

Of course it does. In fact the Suunto smartphone app is being actively developed and my (Android) phone gets frequent useful updates.

That said, the only way to make settings changes to the the Ambit3 class of watches is via the Movescount web interface. The Suunto app does not support the settings changes on these watches.

Movescount  (web interface on PC/Mac etc) now uses the Suuntolink interface.

Head to the Suunto website and forums for more info.

Lowell k
    BPL Member

@drk

This is confusing, I’ll check out the Suunto forums, thanks.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

What is the confusion? It just works!

Do you have an Ambit3 Peak and have your tried the app?

I use the app and the watch almost daily to track my hikes, runs and bike rides. Never had a problem

And I used the old Movescount app before the Suunto app was mature enough (until about 14 months back). I’ve had the Ambit3 Peak since early 2017.

Lowell k
    BPL Member

@drk

I am going to purchase the watch, was waiting for someone to comment that it works. Basically, needed someone to write what you wrote, “It just works”.

I am confused as to how the Suuntolink interface works. Does it connect the watch to Movescount?

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

I personally prefer the barebones features of the Ambit3 Peak to all the bells and whistles on the newer Suunto (or the Garmin etc) watches. In fact I’m tempted to buy another Ambit3 Peak for when/if my current one breaks but it’s built like a tank.

Just install the Suntolink software on your PC/Mac. The old Movescount web interface uses Suuntolink to connect to your watch when the watch is plugged into a USB port on your computer. It’s an easy download and install. The Ambit3 Peak is incredibly configurable if you want to go down that route. Suunto has decided (for now at least) to not invest in adding all that configuration capability to the Suunto app; they instead rely on the Movescount web interface to support that functionality.

You could use the Ambit3 Peak straight out of the box with the “factory” configuration and never mess with it. It would work just fine.

Check out Andrew Skurka’s excellent blog posts on the Ambit3 Peak and his customizations for ultrarunning, backpacking etc

Lowell k
    BPL Member

@drk

Like you, I think the Ambit3 Peak does what I need, and the price is very good.

I read Andrew Skurka’s review, thanks.

Lowell

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools