Topic

Does anyone here use a self-inflating pad?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Does anyone here use a self-inflating pad?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

The current trend is to use an inflatable pad, sometimes with the addition of a foam pad to prevent punctures or provide additional warmth. Hard to argue with the weight, warmth and packed volume of this set-up.

But I seem to be one of these people who have consistent problems with inflatables and slow leaks. I’ve had issues with the Tensor Insulated, the Xtherm and the Xlite. I’m probably “doing it wrong.” I sometimes camp in the National Grasslands and other prairie-type places, where there are plenty of potentially aggressive seeds and such. Maybe I am picking up thorns and such on my Ridgerest that I don’t notice before layering it with the inflatable? I’ve read other reports of the Tensor, in particular, having issues ranging from pinholes to blown welds. I returned my Tensor after finding several small holes, and am in the process of returning my Xlite for a slow leak I could not find with the soap test or the submerged test.

In any event, this has me looking at the older tech, so to speak, of the humble self-inflating pad. I realize this not the most weight-conscious direction to head in. But is there a place at the lightweight table for the durability and simplicity of these older-style pads? Have any of you made the move back to self-inflating pads, or stuck with them the past several years as we’ve moved fully into the Neoair Era?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’m missing something here.  An old-style self-inflating pad, like a Thermarest circa 1985, slowly self-inflates by virtue of the foam inside expanding and that sucks air in through the valve.  The foam also serves to create dead air space inside the pad and because the pad can’t get thicker than, say, 1″, it is stiffer than classic air mattresses and much better at smoothing out holes and roots and rocks.

But if such a pad has a pinhole in it, it will deflate wherever your body weight rests (i.e. where you need the comfort and insulation, it goes away).

So I’m not seeing how a self-inflating pad helps you get through the night with pinhole leaks.

Or do just mean pads like the old orange Thermarests that had thicker nylon on them and were a little less prone to pinhole leaks?

Anyway, yeah, I use an assortment of self-inflating pads.  Smaller lighter ones for backpacking.  Bigger ones for car- and boat-camping.  Even some of the 1980s ones with the small brass valves.  I often bring my most compact 40″ length one in my airline carryon because if by plan or accident, I end up sleeping one night in the airport, the 4-seat benches and the carpet at departure Gate C-14 are MUCH more comfortable with the addition of that pad (and my noise-cancelling headphones on).

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Thanks, David. Sorry if I wasn’t clear – I’ve had bad luck with inflatable pads (Neoair, etc), so I was looking at more durable alternatives like the Thermarests of old that you mentioned, and the current Prolite line.

Just curious if others use these pads these days. Sounds like you do if the occasion calls for it, including the airport!

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Chris, I am absolutely a self inflator user for durability reasons, you can read my thoughts on that and pads in general here.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

These days only for car camping.

Richard Sullivan
    BPL Member

@richard-s

Locale: Supernatural BC

With the newer Thermarests with the WingLock valves, it’s possible to forget to close the black ring which provides the outermost seal, and thus only the one-way fill valve is holding the air in. The pad seems fine when you go to bed but appears to have a microleak, since you wake up in the middle of the night and your pad is only half-inflated.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

My puppy uses one; it’s far more claw-proof than other options, and still pretty compact.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ Chris K. I have not gotten rid of my old Thermarest Prolite. I have stepped on it accidentally with crampons and snow shoe crampons accidentally with no leaks. But it is not as warm as my Xtherm

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Used a Nemo Zor, around 11 oz, for a year or so, because the open cell foam had a gel-like quality to it that made it more comfortable.  No pinholes, but a rip developed.  So bought the same pad with a slightly higher denier cover.  Haven’t weighed it because would not part with it.  Like the Zor, it is a shorty.  Cram stuff into the sleeping bag suffsack to make a pillow, carry thinsulate booties, and stick my full suspended mesh backband pack under the legs if it’s cold.

The pack is designed to have just stuff sacks below, and a separating small gear bag above for all the small items.  The food is carried on the top of the pack, and is hung, so never kept on the pack in camp.  Do not want to get food odors in the pack.  So the empty pack is not lumpy, and serves well to extend the shorty if needed.  The pad is carried rolled and outside the pack, so it also serves as protection for the folded up carbon poles.

Selft-inflating is a myth, but partial self-inflating speeds up inflation.  But the main reason for sticking with these is that they provide a stable surface to sleep on, compared to the air matresses.  The Nemo runs no more than an inch thick, so doesn’t weigh much.

Did have a failure of one of the old thermarests one time when two grizzlies sauntered into my camp site.  One played fly casting with the tent poles, and the other carefully examined the pack.  But they do have sharp claws, and the thermarest got nicked (no other damage).  The nick was easily repaired with a small patch kit.

Maybe somebody will make an air mattress out of DCF.  Would the material hold up as a bed?

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

One played fly casting with the tent poles, and the other carefully examined the pack.  But they do have sharp claws, and the thermarest got nicked (no other damage).  The nick was easily repaired with a small patch kit.

So, funny/similar story…

Back in the Before-Time when the world was young and I was 15, we had a black bear wander through a campsite, checking out tents; I suppose it was thinking of buying one and wanted to see how well he would fit into the various models that were on display.  I’m not sure which model the bear eventually decided to purchase, because none of the ones that were examined passed the durability test: what did pass, however, were the Thermarest pads.  Amidst an absolute chaos of silnylon, Primaloft, shattered poles, guy lines and goosedown – evidently, bears love to play with feathers – the damned sleeping pads were almost unharmed.  One took a pretty severe puncture when he/she/they evidently mistook it for a bright orange quesadilla, but it got patched up with little effort.  Most of the others had bear slobber and muddy prints/smears on them – not to mention a few slight abrasions, because bears don’t often see the wisdom in getting a regular mani-pedi – but only one actually got punctured due to its apparent resemblance to tasty nomnoms.  That’s what gave me the idea to break out one of my older 3/4-length pads and teach the small avalanche that is my dog how to sleep on it; thus far, she’s not done any damage at all…but this is a 25-year-old pad, and it’s made from heavier fabric than the current, du jour offerings.

Maybe somebody will make an air mattress out of DCF.  Would the material hold up as a bed?

Hasn’t that been done already?  Am I thinking incorrectly (again)?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“Maybe somebody will make an air mattress out of DCF.”

“Hasn’t that been done already?  Am I thinking incorrectly (again)?”

A number of years ago a BPLer made and sold air mattresses out of DCF for a short time. Unfortunately he disappeared at some point. Don’t remember his BPL name.

There was also a well-known BPLer who used to make all kinds of stuff, including a DCF air mattress iirc, as well as a DCF hammock, again iirc. I think he was the first to do such things. I can’t remember his name either, such is old-man life, but someone should know who I’m talking about. Bill Fornshell I think.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Bill Fornshell is the correct name.  Bill was awesome. My memory… oh here is one of the threads,  was Bill was originally using mylar balloons and then switched to  poly tubing, and later I think you are right, he used DCF.  I don’t know for certain, but I fear we lost Bill to cancer. He got into ultralight gear because it was the only way he could do the AT given late stage stomach cancer which required a liquid diet.  He made it through that but then had other cancers. In 2015? I think he had finished his third battle.

I haven’t used self inflating for years. As other have mentioned they were more durable because the nylon was thicker than  current air mattresses but the self inflating  were heavier, not as warm/weight, and not as comfortable (at least for me).  My solution has been thin foam pad on bottom (which has been marked to have a “down” and “up” side), and an air mattress.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

The posts about Bill Fornshell got me to thinking about an article in The Concord Monitor, in the November 8, 2021 edition of that NH newspaper.  It was about the most recent end-to-end AT hike of M.J. (Eb) Eberhart, or Nimblewill Nomad by trail name.  He completed it last fall at the age of 83 years.

A friend introduced me to one of Eb’s books, Where Less the Path is Worn, published in 2004, about an earlier hike beginning at Cap Gaspe near the mouth of the St. Lawrence River, across Quebec and New Brunswick to Katahdin, south on the AT to its end, then on less known trails and the Florida Trail to Key West on the south shore of Florida.

Eb has done the Triple Crown and many other long distance hikes, and was 83 years old when he completed the AT yet again last fall.  He did hike the AT in segments this time.  The book is still available from Abe Books on line for around $30.  AFAIK, he is still with us.

He is probably the first to hike with a Cuben version of the Nomad tent, which with some modifications is still available from Lightheart Gear and perhaps others.  But what struck me the most was when early in the long AT hike (twice the length of the AT proper), he bashed his hand in a fall; and rather than bail out for medical care, kept right on going.  So the breaks knit with some deformities.

Know that I could never even approach Eb’s through hikes, but as they say, giants have walked the earth.  In recent years he had called his hikes, “Odysseys,” and many of them are discussed on his website, https://nimblewillnomad.com/

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

Ive used the more often than not , a small one combined with a CCF more than air. I have had 2 hard failures on air pads .. and while I plan on going the air route this year .. I may opt out when the gear gets packed.

Jason
    BPL Member

@hermantherugger

For what it’s worth I had similar experiences with inflatables and opted for the Sea to Summit UL pad. Zero issues with leaks, it has the best valve system I have tried, and inflates so much easier (just a few breaths).

I found that I bottomed out on the regular length one while rolling over, but haven’t had any issues on their shorter pad (60 ish inches vs 72).

I did buy and try a second hand prolite, but couldn’t get past the comfort difference between it and an inflatable.

jj
    BPL Member

@calculatinginfinity

this is bill fornshells blog if anyones interested:

https://ultraliteskunkworks.blogspot.com/

there is info bout his DIY there. i remember his silk and cuben hammocks over on HF way back

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

For many years I used a 3/4 length thermarest self-inflating (purchased in 1988 !). I added a 20″ square of  closed cell foam (1cm thick) for my feet.

I stared to notice, over the years, that my shoulders hurt and my arms fell asleep a lot. (I am a side sleeper). I bought an Exped mat (Synmat 7) and–revelation… I could actually sleep soundly, my arms no longer fell asleep, and I was warmer.

Since then I have moved on to the Neo air X-therm when it’s cold, and neoair X-lite for summer. Happy!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools