Topic

Do you track your shoe mileage? If so, how?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Do you track your shoe mileage? If so, how?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

The internet is full of comments from runners, hikers, and backpackers stating that they got X number of miles out of shoe Y, but I’ve always been curious as to how accurate these statements are. Currently, I use a GPS and a sort of sign-out sheet to track my shoe usage, but there are times I forget. The fact that I rotate shoes also complicates things. So, do you track your shoe/s mileage, and if so, how?

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Strava for my running shoes. It isn’t going to get the mileage of, say, me walking around at work and whatnot. As for walking trails, I know how many miles my trail walks are, and I just keep a running tally in my head.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

As for accuracy – that really depends on how you value the accuracy. As walking is not a controlled environment for the shoe (unless you are on a treadmill or always on fire road, groomed trail, etc), the measure is still going to be a sort of YMMV thing, so I think someone saying they got 450mi while another saying they got 500mi, walking the same trails, are basically saying the same thing about the shoe life.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’m often struck how shoes that last forever around town running errands and on flat trails or the beach, can get shredded so quickly on a rocky, mountainous trail.  The wear factor is well over 10-fold.  50?- or 100-fold? for rough rocky trails versus bike paths and Walmart aisles.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I use Garmin Connnect to track my running shoes, trail runners, miles on my bike chain, tires, break pads, and bike frame itself.  I don’t track miles on any of my other backpacking gear other than shoes.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

Just ask the Pentagon, they’ll have the info. {kidding}..maybe

I used to in just the same manner as you with GPS. But you’re right, it gets complicated and I lost interest. It was really more for how long it took for the new shoe/boot to break in for me

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

I don’t track it.  When I can feel too many rocks through the soles, it’s time to toss them–usually in the middle of a nice long trip.  So I always get a few “extra” days out of each pair…grin

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

And others are right – granite high routes tend to destroy shoes.  I can get about 500 miles out of my shoes on local  trails but maybe 200 miles of high routes before they are toast – sometimes less than that.  My shoes (La Sportiva Ultra Raptor) have a soft rubber sole that is sticky but does get eaten up pretty quick.  For longer trips I generally use a new-ish pair because a failure on a 100 mile trip with lots of off trail travel would be a real pain.  I save more worn pairs for dayhiking and weekend trips.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I track miles using Garmin connect activities attributed to a particular pair of shoes. When shoes wear out I look over the trips which were particularly high wear and look at daily total steps – activities steps and then add that milage to the shoes to include daily around town miles.

It’s pretty simple for me because most seasons I switch between 2-3 pairs of shoes: 1 for trail running / hiking / backpacking (generally no walk arounding town), 1 for street running, and 1 for walk around town which are my street runners in cooler weather. The only shoes I struggle to get really good estimate are my Keen sandals which last several years (yeah!) and I don’t know exacting what days they were my walk around town shoes so I have to guestimate.

I don’t swap shoes based on miles on them, I swap when there are major holes in the uppers (generally not been an issue other than some montrails I used years ago) or when there are no effective lugs left on the sole.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Spreadsheet, different column for each pair of shoes. At a minimum you can track mileage, you can also track whatever other info you want (dates, trail condition categories, go crazy). You can also use this approach to track mileage on other gear.

W I S N E R !
    BPL Member

@xnomanx

When I was running more I used to track shoe mileage through GPS (and later Strava). I stopped, finding it to be a fairly fruitless task. Even with the same two pairs of shoes, one trip to the desert for scrambling on quartz monzonite, a few extra canyoneering trips, etc. would drastically reduce the mileage. I now figure that when I need new shoes, I need new shoes, and mileage is irrelevant. Same goes for bike tires, chains, brake pads, etc. Observing wear is more useful to me than observing mileage.

Andrew Priest
    BPL Member

@aushiker1

Locale: Fremantle

I use my Garmin Forerunner 230 synced to Strava to track my kilometres on my running shows.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!