Topic

Do you find your EE quilt draft collar helps much?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Do you find your EE quilt draft collar helps much?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Do you find your Enlightened Equipment draft collar helps? Two EE users said they felt the draft collar didn’t do anything for them. I have no experience yet with an EE quilt and the only reasons I could think for the draft collar possibly not working well would be if it were too thin or not situated in the right spot to block drafts well.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I dont believe i ever used a quilt with a draft collar and I have always been just fine. Maybe I am missing out? Guess I will never know. Long as I am always comfortable, I am good. Its possible one or more of my hammock under quilts do have draft collars on them, which really I could justify and understand more then a top quilt.

Victor Jorgensen
    BPL Member

@dblhmmck

Locale: Northern California

I have a 40 degree Bandit quilt with a draft collar, which is luxurious, when paired with a Z-Packs fleece beanie.  But when I ordered a 20 degree Diamondback quilt, I didn’t go for that option although it was offered.  I feel that it is a better weight to warmth combination for me to use the EE Hoodlem that covers the neck well in lower temps.  If I only slept in a beanie in cold temps, I might have considered the draft collar as a justified place to accept more weight in my sleeping system.  My 2 cents.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

I have a Gryphon Gear and a Nunarak hoodless bags and both have draft tubes. That serves a purpose with a zipper. A pure quilt? Not so much.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

Can’t speak to the value of a draft collar with a quilt, but as a cold sleeper I find them invaluable in a sleeping bag.  Having my shoulders covered and minimal warm air leakage around the neck makes all the difference.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools