Topic

Do partial solid inners block blowing sand and snow?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Do partial solid inners block blowing sand and snow?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Pigeon
    BPL Member

@popeye

I was going to bump this old thread…. https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/88036/  but I figure a new discussion can’t hurt. Will a mostly mesh inner tent with only  a foot or so of solid fabric at the base block most sand and spindrift? 18 inches, 24?

I want to rig a detachable solid fabric strip for my all mesh inner. The tent in question is a Big Sky Chinook 2P. I’ve only had it for a day and set it up indoors, but it looks like the fly will pitch 2-3 inches off the ground and the bathtub walls are about 8 inches high. I don’t yet know how much space will separate the outer and inner when taut. This tent is really tall compared to others I’ve seen (specs say 42″ for the interior.) Here’s a link to the product page http://bigskyproducts.com/big-sky-chinook-2p-tent.aspx

So if the solid fabric extends a foot past the 8 inch bathtub, will sand or snow still find their way up and in through the mesh? Only in the strongest wind or frequently? Assuming similar conditions, is sand or snow more likely to blow up and in?

I know this won’t trap heat or block drips like an all fabric inner, but it might keep me from feeling a cold breeze, right?

Pigeon
    BPL Member

@popeye

To clarify, I’d like suggestions on how tall to make the fabric strip. Because of the existing pockets  on the net tent, an 8 inch tall strip would be easier to attach than a foot tall strip.

I’d also like to know which is more likely to find its way in, sand or snow?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

This is a great question with a simple answer:

sort of!

The more solid fabric that your inner is made from, the more it will block sand and snow.

I predominantly use a Locus Khufu as a solo shelter. In conditions where I don’t expect bugs, sand, or snow, I skip the inner altogether.

If it’s bugs I’m worried about, I’ll just take a mesh inner.

If it’s blowing sand/snow, I’ve tried 1/3 / 1/2 / full inners, and will always take the full inner.

If it’s the wind you’re worried about, I’ve found the mesh to be pretty much OK.

But *blowing* sand/snow seem to be a different story, and I prefer a full fabric (no mesh) inner tent. Sand and spindrift seem to always have a way of migrating into every exposed pore, and a solid fabric seems to be the only way to keep it out.

My old mesh inner (1/2 width) weighs something like 11 oz, and my full fabric inner (2/3 width) weighs about 13.5 oz, so honestly, I just don’t worry about the “added” weight…

The only issue with the full fabric inner is that if it’s dry, windy, and warm in the desert, it’s *hot* in there. Fortunately, most of my desert trips with high prevailing winds are in the winter, so not a huge deal.

Now back to your question: how much “solid fabric” do you need?

12-16 inches seems enough to block the wind and keep “most snow/sand” out, assuming you pitch the outer to ground level. I have an inner with 16 inches of solid fabric at the base for my old MLD Supermid and it seems to be sufficient, assuming my outer is pitched flush to the ground.

It’s amazing how fine sand and snow (spindrift) can make their way into your shelter.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

In all likelyhood adding extra solid fabric will do very little if there is that much clearance between the fly and the ground, you may be better off, and it would be an easier job, to sew valances all the way around the circumference but looking at the website pictures the fly should go all the way down to the ground.

Are you pitching it taut?

Why not simply order a winter inner?

Personal experience tells me that winter tents should have valances anyway, I have no idea why more makers don’t offer them as an option as they are very useful in deserts as well

Pigeon
    BPL Member

@popeye

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Thanks a lot! I appreciate the perspective. It sounds like it would be worth trying if the investment is low. The fly may pitch lower than I thought. I still haven’t taken it outdoors.</p>
    I’m on a tight budget so the 2nd stock inner isn’t an option for  me. Once I get my hands on some cheap breathable fabric I’m going to experiment with low-sew attachment methods and different heights. I might try binder clips at the corners and a few buttons along the edges.
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>I want one tent to use in most settings, hopefully including beach and desert. I might just have to cover up and live with the sand.</p>

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Buttons and loops or self adhesive Velcro dots should both work. Don’t get too hooked up on having to use a breathable fabric tho, if you can get UL proofed fabric that should also work if you get the overlap at least 75mm

I’m thinking of the 0.7 Robic for this use

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

If blowing sand, the overlap between fly and partial net inner would prevent almost all sand from a typically strong cold front (it did at a low altitude Big Bend trip I took with an MSR Zoid 1 anyways).  Every gust the sand particles could be heard collectively hitting the fly and the lower exposed part of the inner, but I just read with no cares.

Blowing fine dust is another problem as it seems to build clouds that do not settle as long as there’s gusts.  Use a solid liner and embrace your inner Lawrence of Arabia if you need to go out.

Pigeon
    BPL Member

@popeye

I found a free source of fabric right under my nose! I’m combining two Costco down throws and the empty shell ought to work with enough left to experiment.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

My Tarptent Moment DW has ripstop 2/3 of the way up on the sides and no netting on the “end” panels of ripstop. From my own experience in blowing snow I have found that no spindrift entered the tent.  But I had staked the fly edges down and put snow against the ground gap to close it. 

->The top “eyelid” vents in the Moment DW seemed to keep out the spindrift but I did have the upwind vent Velcroed shut until around 2 AM when I opened it for more venting. Still no spindrift came in.

->Both upwind end (floor) vent flaps were Velcro closed but a tiny bit of spindrift came there in B/C I had not finished sewing Velcro all around the opening sides in the inner flap. (The fly has a triangular end flap as does the inner tent.)

I like the ratio ripstop-to-netting in my tent but also I think the placement of the netting is good as well when it comes to winter camping.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools