Topic

Do Any Cottage Manufacturers make Bed Quilts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Do Any Cottage Manufacturers make Bed Quilts

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

Do any cottage manufacturers also make bed quilts out of either goose down or climashield apex?  My wife and I would like a summer weight quilt for our king size bed and would rather not buy something mass made from China but would prefer to support one of our cottage manufacturers with responsibly sourced down or Climashield Apex.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Feathered Friends does bed quilts.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

You could ask Nunatak; although they are so far behind in their orders they might not have time to do specials

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

While not a cottage company, Western Mountaineering makes a US manufactured product called the cloud nine comforter in a king size.  I have a queen and love it.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Hammock Gear does custom work, and their stuff is well made.

Enlightened Equipment makes the Itasca, a queen-sized comforter, perhaps they’d make a king size if asked. Also good stuff.

chris s
    BPL Member

@riceonsuede

Jack
    BPL Member

@j4ck

Locale: New England
    Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

Thanks too everyone for your great feedback.  I will pursue a couple of these options.  Once again I am impressed with the knowledge and kindness of BPL members, especially those who have stayed around through thick and thin in order to help other folks like me!

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I can vouch for the Feathered Friends down bedding. I picked up the Bavarian medium 700 in a queen about 4 years ago and it has been awesome! Light, warm and comfortable to sleep under. Both my wife and I probably sleep a little on the colder side, and this particular model has worked well for us year round (we live in north MS). I keep my thermostat set to 58 at night, however, in the dead of summer, our AC will never get the temps down to that… it’s usually only gets to the mid 60’s then, and at times I will have to throw a leg out… (Also worth noting, we now sleep on a Ghost Bed – one of the MANY online bed in a boxes. Not much sink with this mattress, no cradling warmth and good air flow around my body at night – which by this description makes it a “cool” bed to sleep on.)

We keep the comforter in a duvet to help keep it clean since our dog sleeps with us in the bed. This has resulted in a few middle of the night laundry mat visits from either pee or vomit… I always use down wash and it still lofts great. We have recently switched to the above mentioned king size bed (getting another puppy) so we gave this down comforter to my daughter for use on her queen bed. I would like to pick up one of their king size down comforters to replace it on our bed, but… they are spendy… thankfully I will have to wait a few months to make sure the new puppy is trained well before making another big bedding purchase though… but we will end up with another… we like it that much! At this point, I would go with the same model too.

I will add that I wish FF would put ties on the corners of their down comforters… It’s a beautiful blanket and would love to use it without a duvet, but as noted above that is not an option for us. And not all duvets and comforters have the exact same dimensions, so the ties would be a nice little extra. (Yeah, I know I could be more picky with the duvet, but my wife picks those out, and I am not arguing with her!)

Also worth mentioning is that the FF down comforter has a cotton shell, which is what we wanted for our home bed. I love my nylon covered sleeping bags and quilts for hiking, but not for use on my bed at home.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools