Topic

DIY Ultralight Remote Inverted-Canister Winter Stove – Version 4, Part 1

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable DIY Ultralight Remote Inverted-Canister Winter Stove – Version 4, Part 1

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Thanks @Roger,

I went and checked, and it measures 21.5cm across, so about 3.5l.

However, that doesn’t mean it is ever full of 3.5l water. I put in a bit of water, and the fill it with snow. I do add snow partway through, but never  end up with it full of water.

Don’t I remember @Ryan Jordan using a ~6l popcorn pot for group trips?

I have some of the tall, narrow 2l pots, and there is no way I could get enough snow in those in any time effective manner to melt enough for even two people.

Does 21.5 cm count as a ‘large’ diameter in your experience, creating the issues of reflecting heat back down?
    I would never use that on an upright canister stove, simply because of balance issues.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

@Tjaard

21.5 cm – that is probably OK with a REMOTE canister stove, imho.
    I hear you about snow melting. It doubles my fuel consumption.

Cheers

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

AHHH! A cliff hanger ending..

well done Sir

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Part 2 this week I believe.

Cheers

Binne Smid
    BPL Member

@binnesmid

Great article!

I want to buy one!
    Let us know when you’re ready to make a small serie for us gear-lovers.

Binne Smid

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Yeah, great articles, I like the sleeping on problems part…

If a stove flame output is turbulent, there may be better heat transfer leading to more efficiency

Are you considering this in your designs?  Are you measuring grams of butane to boil a volume of water?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Binne. Please email me direct via [email protected] for details.

Hi Jerry: oh yes, the flames are turbulent for sure. With the rates of expansion due to burning they could not be otherwise. There is also turbulence at a micro scale inside the burner head: that is how we get the fuel/air mixing.

As to efficiency, see for example our articles
    https://backpackinglight.com/canister_stove_efficiency_p1/
    https://backpackinglight.com/canister_stove_efficiency_p2/
    https://backpackinglight.com/canister_stove_efficiency_p3/
    and
    https://backpackinglight.com/heat-exchanger-pot-test-hx-haa-caffin/
    for some figures.

I don’t use ‘grams per litre’ very much myself; rather I use ‘grams per day’ for the two of us in practical conditions (ie, walking). Over long periods in the mountains (like 2 – 3 months) I find I use 30 grams per day for the two of us in summer, and I allow 60 g/day for the two of us in the snow. The latter is probably excessive, but it does allow for melting snow every day – which I try to avoid.

Cheers

Tryg
    BPL Member

@trygdahle

Roger, thanks for sharing your stove design “secrets.”

Do you have a photo of the V4 stove folded up, with rough dimensions?

Thanks again.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Photo from David G of V4 stove inside a Toaks 900 mL pot, 115 mm diameter.

Cheers

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Very cool to see! Looks like a fantastic stove!

How big is the pot support from side to the other? (In other words, what  diameter pot would exactly Line up with the pot supports)?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

4 pot supports, not 3.
    Between inner ends of pot supports: 70 mm (beer cans need not apply)
    Between Ti wire uprights: 124 mm (but note that the outer corners have a radius)
    Larger pots (up to a point) are of course fine.

Cheers

Johan Larsson
    BPL Member

@johan-larsson

Is there some info about the exchangeable gas cannister connectors in some of the other articles maybe? (I hope i haven’t missed it here…?)

I’m interested in getting one of these stoves (will send a mail!) and would like to know a little more about compatibility with different containers and their usages. I see you mention three different connectors, and the most common here in Sweden/Europe are the 7/16″ and the bayonet(?). Is there something special to think of when using different types of cannisters, with gas or liquid feeding?

Trying to get a grip on the different connections I found http://bushwalkingnsw.org.au/clubsites/FAQ/FAQ_GasStoves.htm and spent quite a long time there before I saw the authors name. :)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

before I saw the authors name. :)
    Chuckle.

There is some info in some of the other stove articles – but a bit scattered. I don’t think we an article focusing on connectors as such.

The French Campingaz connector is the best in my opinion: safe, long-lasting and reliable. But the French did not stir their backsides to get international sales, and lost out.

The screw-thread (7/16″) is the most common, but as one might expect, it is an abortion of a design. It’s a partial steel thread, rough surface, ‘mating’ with a soft brass thread on the stoves. The stove thread strips after a while, and yes, it happened to me.

The bayonet connection is found only (?) on butane canisters (ie not butane/propane), and is designed for what we call ‘wok stoves’. We have an article coming here at BPL about them. You can buy adapters on ebay to convert them to screw-thread.

Cheers

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools