Topic

DIY Top Quilt #2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear DIY Top Quilt #2

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BC Bob
    Spectator

@bcbob

Locale: Vancouver Island

Obligatory first post.

BC Bob
    Spectator

@bcbob

Locale: Vancouver Island

Winter project. My second top quilt. My first one (last winter) was a modified Karo design. I was shooting for a 30F quilt (1.5″ baffles, 12 oz down).

I had extra down left over so thought I’d try one that’s a bit warmer, with a different baffle design: vertical channels with staggered gaps so the down can move among them. It was certainly easier to sew than the karo design.

Instead of a sewn-in footbox, I’m trying a draw-string footbox with Kam snaps for about 20″ up the footbox. Also, a small, Kam-snap attached plug for the end hole (see pics).

It’s perhaps 2-3 inches long (I’m 5’11”), but I don’t want my feet pressed against the footbox and I want a bit extra to pull up around my neck.

Materials (from dutchwaregear.com)
    Shell: Argon 67, black (inside) and forest green (outside)
    Baffles: No-See-Um BAFFLE by the foot, 2.5″
    Mini cord locks
    Lash It/Zing It cord 1.75mm

Kam Snaps from ripstopbytheroll.com

Needle: Schmetz Microtex 70/10
    Thread: Gutermann Tera 80

Baffle height: 2.0″
    Shell(with hardware): 6 oz
    Down: 16 oz
    Finished Weight: 22.0 oz (625g)
    Finished dimensions: 78″ x 51 x 41″ (excluding hemmed edge)

I used 850 loft goose down from a 2 lb order. I stuffed some into the end of a Christmas wrapping paper tube and pushed it out with a pole directly into each of the chambers. Worked well.

Fabric edge is the green outline in first pic. The black outline is the expected perimeter after sewing the hem (triple on the top, double on sides and bottom).

Aubrey W. Bogard
    BPL Member

@bogardaw

Locale: TX

Impressive!  Thanks for sharing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools