Topic

Diy tarptent input needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Diy tarptent input needed

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

So I’m fairly confident I can make a square tarp myself. I mean it’s seams and grossgain loops and its square!

I’m looking for help on templates or how to design a tent like the MLD Cricket or Wildgear Penta Tarp or  possible even Bear Paw Wilderness Designes bear den or Lair. like the beak option for weather. I’ve also been interested in MLD duomid or solomid.

I’m looking at going DIY because I’m unemployed and have time to tackle something like this plus the cost savings of just buying fabric ect.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

how to make a pyramid tent https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/cant-access-jerrys-myog-pyramid-article/#post-3686660

that’s the same idea as a duomid or a solomid

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

My pocket tarp appears to be only one shape, two of them sewn together down the middle. The second shortest side, the edge closest to you in the picture, is 26″. The shortest side is 20″. The seam is along the top two edges furthest away from you in the picture, making the back tie-down the point on the right. This is the doorless pocket tarp. A lot of people try making a pattern with paper, a tiny version, which they then scale up.

Pocket tarp

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Locale: San Juan Mtns.

Josh – A few years back, I worked out the dimensions for panels to create something akin to Zpack’s Hexamid Solo, absent the netting.  If that design could provide a start for you, let me know and I’ll go dig the papers out.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

@mhr

Heck yeah!  That would be awesome!

Thanks Matt!

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

Learn to use the free version of SketchUp.

It’s simple 3D software that makes it far easier to visualise your tent design. There are tutorials all over YouTube. Pretty much all the MYOG tent makers are using it.

https://www.sketchup.com/

Once you’re comfortable with it, you can play with different designs pretty quickly. It also works out the dimensions and areas for you.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

+1 – start with Sketchup.

When you get serious then you can move to RFEM. Then, it’s all over…!

I speak from experience. RFEM ruined my life, but it made me a huge fan of certain tent manufacturers…

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

@ryan

Which tent manufacturers use RFEM

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools