Topic

DIY: PVC pole jack for tall shelters

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear DIY: PVC pole jack for tall shelters

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    drew doty
    BPL Member

@saltyotter

Recently got a Altaplex and Zpacks seems to always be out of these pole jacks online.  So I hit up my hardware store and found some 1/2 inch pipe with a screw on tip.  Weighs 2.3ozs and it a total of 8 3/4 inch long.  However, after inserting it on my hiking stick it only gives about 5 1/4 more height.  I think 10 inch would have been better so that my trekking pole has more stabilization, but the 8inch is bare minimum.  Bigger is better I guess!

I’m using the Black Diamond Ergo Flick Lock… I extended each hiking pole section to 135mm to get to the recommended 58inch height for the Altaplex.  The maximum height of my pole is 140mm.   The 1/2 inch pipe fits perfectly over the tip.  Snug fit.   The PVC pipe seems rather tough and would stand up to a storm.   Only weighs slightly more than the carbon fiber. Anyone try this in the field with good results.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I made similar but longer extension using curtain poles .

I wrapped the trekking pole tip with Cling Wrap inserted that into the extension and poured silicone into the ext so that it would take the shape of the pole tip.

That way the full tip is working with the extension rather than focusing the stress at the bottom.

drew doty
    BPL Member

@saltyotter

Also, read about this on Reddit!  Interesting idea that could work.  Diassemble trekking poles if you can and combine to make one tall one with two handles.  Thoughts.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools