Topic

DIY ideas to attach two EE quilts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear DIY ideas to attach two EE quilts

• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by J R.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Hi everyone, hoping for some brainstorming ideas. I’d like to be able to attach two Enlightened Equipment quilts for the girlfriend and me, I like the modularity of having two separate quilts that can be used separately or as one couples quilt, and since I already own two I definitely like the price. Both are Enigma style, and I am fine with us having separate footboxes when in combined mode.

Both quilts have the slim buckles EE uses for strap attachments, female on both quilts. I had thought about attaching two male buckles and just using that to connect the two quilts, but that would leave a gap down the middle of the sleep system. So, some sort of overlap is called for.

I’m thinking of adding a KAM snap through the quilt fabric right at the base of each current female strap buckle on one side of each quilt, one left side and one right side, one gets male snaps and one gets female snaps. This would create a little bit of overlap, but still potential for a small gap to open.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

Benny H
    BPL Member

@benh509

Locale: PNW

neodymium magnets? Similar to the snaps but you wouldn’t have to put holes in the quilts. And you could place them closer together to help minimize drafts.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Thanks Benny, interesting suggestion. I don’t know how strong the magnets would be, wonder if they would hold if we each rolled away from each other and tugged our respective quilts in opposite directions. I’m sure at a certain size they would be strong enough, but then I would wonder how heavy would they be. Any experience with these magnets that could help answer my questions?

David P
    BPL Member

@david-paradis

Hey JR

just to note the neodymium magnets are VERY powerful. They can damage electronic devices and the magnet strip on your credit/debit card. They can also damage and whack out compasses.  Also they are soooo powerful they are quite hard to separate once they’re stuck together…

I like your KAM snaps idea. I own a few EE quilts and had to add two snaps by the collar on the Enigma because the one there kept popping open when I would shift positions during the night. If you added three or four sets of two snaps side by side down the length of the quilt opening it just might do the trick. Post again if you’ve already come up with something! Good luck

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Why not use Rogers technique and use an UL double overquilt?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I lived for 30 years in the SF area and Seattle and I wore a tux twice – once for senior prom and once to get married.

Now that I live in a small, rural Alaskan town, I own three tuxedos and wear them a few times each year.

Tuxedo shirts take studs. Studs fit through two button holes and can be completely removed for laundry or if you don’t need to button things up. When the studs aren’t in use, there are no hard objects in the item at all.  Further, the button holes can be slits in the fabric (stitched or heat-sealed closed or they can be cordage loops). When not in use, those loops/slits add almost no weight of bulk.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Thanks all, good suggestions. On balance I’m still thinking the KAM snaps is the easiest approach so far. A double overquilt would be extra weight and extra $$. The studs/buttons idea is interesting, just that I don’t have the sewing skills nor the nerve to try burning into my quilt fabric.

I did add snaps to a couple of the Costco down throws so that they each can be converted into a crude quilt for warm summer nights, so I have more confidence with doing that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools