Topic

DIY EE Revelation (sort of)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear DIY EE Revelation (sort of)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    William Vogel
    BPL Member

@willvogel1

Locale: Virginia

Good morning!  Last year, I unfortunately had to sell off almost all of my gear.  After much thought, I decided to try and make more of my own stuff to save on expenses, because we all know this stuff can get a little pricey.

Initially, I did some minor mods to equipment and finally decided to go bigger.  My first real project that I decided to tackle was to get my EE quilt back.

So I did the research and looked long and hard for some tips.  Essentially, I just decided to make a quick quilt schematic based on my findings:

I got on ripstopbytheroll and started it up.  Here is a video of the project.  You will have to pardon me that this is my first DIY video and it sure is not very good.  BUT I have made a couple more that I will be posting up and they will sure be better.  I have since made a tarp and will soon be posting my underquilt video if you want to check out my other vids on youtube.

YouTube video

I hope that if anyone wants to tackle this, they look to this post for a little help.  If anyone has any questions, I will try to answer the best I can.

Here are some pictures of the final product.  It is a 45 degree with 800fp down and weights right at 16oz.

Ken M
    BPL Member

@kenmoz

Locale: Louisville, Oh

I like it.  Thanks for the photos and video. And the pattern.

I have an old down bag and would like to recycle the down into something lighter and  more useful.  Your work has given me a bit if inspiration.  My personal preference is for the tube design but sewing in those baffles…ugh.

Question… How did you determine how much down to install into each baffle?

-KenM

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Looks good, nice quilt !!

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

Excellent video! Thanks for sharing. I really like how you (and EE) did the baffle design. How did you actually sew in the baffles? I drew a few different examples and am unsure of the best route to take. WHat happens to the end of the baffle material?

William Vogel
    BPL Member

@willvogel1

Ken:  To be honest, I eyeballed it.  I cut 3oz bags of down into thirds and stuffed each baffle with that.  The top of the bag actually has a 2″ gap between the baffle end and the hem, so I am able to move the down to get it as evenly as possible.  A lot of fluffing, refluffing, and putting it in the dryer with tennis balls.  I eventually got the down pretty evenly spaced.  Gonna try it tonight and see about cold spots, but should be good.

Eric:  I pretty much did your first drawing the whole way through.  I think that rolling it would have been a bit stronger, but also more tedious and I am not sure it would be beneficial.  I don’t see the noseeum ripping out anytime soon.  And the end of the baffle material just stops 2″ from the top of the quilt.  I measured from the top of the fabric about 4″ one each piece to give the top some space to move the down around if needed.

Leslie H
    BPL Member

@foxglove

Congratulations William! Looks like an excellent job. I’m new here and find post like yours really inspirational. I may tackle a summer quilt myself someday. Thanks for the guidance. Leslie

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

You, Sir, made one awesome quilt!!!!

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Locale: Mid-Minnesota

Thank you for posting the video and pictures of your  quilt. I really appreciated your candor about the difficulty, time, and satisfaction of completing such a nice quilt.

What weight of ripstop did you use? Maybe I missed that part.

William Vogel
    BPL Member

@willvogel1

Eugene,

Thanks much!  The first time is always tough, but I seem to be getting quicker with each project.  My next quilt (basically the same but a bit wider and rated to 20 degrees) should go faster.  I hope, that is!

I used 1.1 calendared nylon since it was cheap and proven to work.  I used a .66 taffeta on an underquilt I made last week and I am incredibly happy with it.  My next one will be taffeta on front and back.

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Locale: Mid-Minnesota

…waiting to see how the 20 dog quilt performs…

William Vogel
    BPL Member

@willvogel1

Getting material on Saturday.  Using .66 taffeta and 850+ down.  I am pretty sure I can push it under 20oz.  We shall see!

Monique Schaefers
    BPL Member

@moniquews

Locale: PNW

So I looked at EE Revelation quilts for the size quilt, temperature rating and the down weight for an estimate.  I then also used one of the spreadsheets.  Down Needed Spreadsheets   I then calculated the area for each of my channels and multiplied them by the baffle height to give me volume for each channel.  Divide the volume of the channel by the fill weight.  Add in 10-20% for overfill.

Bob’s your uncle as they say.
    Hope this is helpful.

William Vogel
    BPL Member

@willvogel1

Monique helped me tremendously on this quilt. I would still be scratching my head had it not been for her experience and input. Thank you for that spreadsheet as I will now be using that for my next quilts.

You are awesome!

Andrea C
    BPL Member

@andreagattonero

If using some lightweight fabric, you may be able to see empty spots by placing the quilt against a strong light (like a window on a very sunny day). I’ve used Momentum50 with Climashield apex and we could see some empty spots.
    The EE Revelation that I had made 2 years ago will show some down falling to the bottom if shaken vigorously, but is mostly even. IIRC, they too would use a 0.7/sqyd fabric that would let the light trough

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools