Topic

DIY Adapter, EXPED Schnozzel PumpBag UL to Therm-A-Rest NeoAir

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) DIY Adapter, EXPED Schnozzel PumpBag UL to Therm-A-Rest NeoAir

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    NoCO-Jim
    BPL Member

@noco-jim

Locale: NoCO

I haven’t seen this posted anywhere, pretty easy to make in about 1/2 hour.  Only 2 parts, readily available at most hardware stores.  7 grams!  Works great.

https://youtu.be/82syxas_l_Q

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

Thank you for the idea. Been trying to find an idea I like. That just might work!

Kelly

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

That’s a nice DIY adapter.  Here is another solution using just the tubing.  I’ve been doing this for the past year.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

Thanks for sharing your idea! I like it! A little bit simpler than the one I just tried.

I just built this, but it isn’t my idea (I found it on the web). It works great, pretty easy to make, and because of the one-way valve you don’t lose air between each time you have to refill the schnozzle bag with air. The one-way valve also makes it easier to detach the schnozzle bag and twist the thermarest valve shut without letting any air escape . The guy who devised this is a clever fellow, and generous to post his idea. I ordered the one way valve (Ebay, from China !), and the rubber cone washer and tubing I got from the hardware store for a couple $$.

https://youtu.be/mSwRi39hYYo

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

I’ve found that you can just push the NeoAir valve into the grey part on the Schnozzel – no adapter required. It’s a tight fit but still pretty easy. You could sand down the ID of the grey part on the Schnozzel a tiny bit to make it easier without worrying about affecting its ability to inflate Exped mats.

The Schnozzel is a great piece of multi use gear.

two pints
    Spectator

@madgoat

Locale: Ohio

I found the same thing as Erik G above.  The first few times you do it, it is hard to get the schnozzle and the thermarest valve to mate.  But after you do it a few times, the gray plastic on the schnozzle bag expands a little bit and makes it easier.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

I had a 3D printer adapter made from a design I found online.

About $10 a pop and .25oz.

There is a thread on here somewhere with the details.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

NoCO-Jim
    BPL Member

@noco-jim

Many ways to “crack a nut”, each with there own advantages/disadvantages.  I should point out that the DIY adapter works easily on the old Big Agnes 20mm valves as well.  So if you have only a BA pad, or if you have both BA & Therm-A-Rest, this adapter will do the trick.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

I use the Neoair Xlite and the XTherm sleeping pads. But I hate the valve on the air pads. Inflation is slow and deflation even slower.

Hacks are wonderful, but why not install a flat valve with one way check valve such as used on many competitor pads? Sea to Summit and Exped both use such valves. Some REI pads do also. Big Agnes has similar valve but different diameter.

A common Neoair hack is to shorten it. Since you have to cut the pad open to shorten it, may as well install flat valve and cut out the old one. I’ve found nothing the web showing that someone has tried such a hack. Any members heard of such a thing?

If I can find a cheap Neoair at an REI garage sale, I might give it a go. Maybe pull a flat valve from a pillow.

Cheers,
    Bill

NoCO-Jim
    BPL Member

@noco-jim

I’ve since added a check-valve to the assembly…works pretty cool:

Cheers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools