Topic

DIY 32oz Nalgene Insulated Cozy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear DIY 32oz Nalgene Insulated Cozy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    chris b
    BPL Member

@tx_beard

Has anyone made a pattern for 32oz Nalgene Insulated Cozy using <span class=”_Tgc _y9e”>closed-cell neoprene & Refletix?</span>

I am think of the Refletix for the inside & neoprene for the outside. I am not sure what glue is used for the neoprene. I will probably use a saddle stitch on the inside up both sides and turn inside-out once completed.

Martin D
    BPL Member

@natlife

I built a quick bottle jacket out of an old foam pad last year. I ended up loosing the cap in high winds so I needed to build version two. This is to be used on a three days presi traverse.

I made it with a 1cm foil faced closed cell pad, laminated on the outside with nylon. Everything is glued with 3M Super 77. The cap and jacket are tapered so it tightly seals by simply pressing the cap on and easily slides off when twisting to open it. The jacket slips into a webbing harness to which the cap is secured. That way I can bring the jacket in my sleeping bag for slow heat release. The harness clips into my pack’s chest strap with two small biniers and the bottle is fitted with a GSI quick straw for easy hudration on the move.

I tested it with 125f water in the freezer at 0f. After 14 hours the water was a bit iced with maybe 1/8th of an inch crust at the top. I took measurements for the first 6 hours and calculated the heat transfet coefficient with which I figured I would be good for 7 hours at -40. Any 32oz won’t last me more than 4 hours anyway. Weight comes in at 3.3 oz.

Pictures: Sorry, tried everything but I can’t like. Copy paste this: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/y2jxk2g6kc3p3oe/AAAXWyCk7T4EulRhRPziEGPTa

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools