Topic

Ditty Pocket Location Preference?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Ditty Pocket Location Preference?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Christian K
    BPL Member

@disciple3131

Hi all,

I am looking at my second MYOG pack and am curious on your opinion on location for a pocket for random items. I plan to have two hip belt pockets, and up to two shoulder pockets. I usually keep things like chapstick, hand sanitizer, snacks, map etc in my hip belt pockets depending on space available. However, I would like to add a separate pocket as a catch-all.

The backpack will be a rolltop. I’ve got two options (also, see pictures at bottom):

1. Top side elastic pocket, similar to what’s shown below in the SWD long haul pack.
      1. Pros: Easy access, away from wet gear.
      2. Cons: Might interfere with compression, less clean looking.
    2. Small front pocket behind mesh pocket, similar to the second SWD picture. I think I’d want it to be out of X-Pac if I did this, to prevent stuff in here getting soaked by wet gear in the mesh pocket. Otherwise, I don’t see double mesh pockets being thaaat helpful. But I don’t speak from experience on that. Maybe a half pocket or 6″ long and 1-2″ narrower than the mesh pocket?
      1. Pros: Out of the way and slightly concealed.
      2. Cons: May interfere with front mesh pocket stuffing action?, potentially more of a lower profile than side pocket which means holding less, closer to wet gear.

I think either pocket has the possibility of being “annoying”. I just like the idea of having a pocket specifically designated as “catch-all” pocket (similar to a junk drawer) for things like my headlamp, maybe map, and anything random. On my Gregory pack, I throw EVERYTHING into the brain – buff/beanie, sunglasses, map, mini tripod, gloves, extra snacks, etc.

Curious on your preference between the two options above, as I haven’t had either on a pack before.

Top Side Pocket:

Upper Side Pocket

Front Pocket Behind Mesh:

Half Lycra Front Pocket (Milo Pocket)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Photos aren’t showing for me but I’m curious to see them.

Mike B
    BPL Member

@highwarlok

Locale: Colorado

No photos for me either

Christian K
    BPL Member

@disciple3131

This work? Maybe I could run the shock cord through a small hole behind the top side pocket? Might be easier to use.

Christian K
    BPL Member

@disciple3131

• To clarify: I am looking at <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>making</span> my second MYOG pack. Haven’t actually made it yet, If that wasn’t explicit from the rest of the post. The pictures are from SWD packs, not mine.
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’d be inclined to go for the side of the pack rather than kangaroo’ed into the front pocket. It’s an unused part of the pack (at least for me. I like the idea of a small pocket that would fit some tiny items I don’t want to lose. Maybe a zipper would be nice there? A couple thoughts:

1. Do you really use side compression? I don’t feel a need to unless we are talking about a large volume pack that needs to get small. My packs are all relatively small and if I’m not carrying a bear can I just leave my quilt a little fluffier. YMMV.
    2. If you do want some compression maybe MLD’s approach on the Burn/Prophet would work because you could route it below the pocket? It might not compress as much as you want.
    3. I think ZPacks offers an add-on pocket in that location for their Arc packs that hangs off of the compression and even allows for tent poles or an umbrella to pass underneath. Maybe that approach would work for you?
    Christian K
    BPL Member

@disciple3131

Very good point on #1 above. I don’t think I really need the compression. I planned on making it removable and looping through some grosgrain, but I don’t actually compress anything with my compression straps in practice. Moreso, I just tighten them so they aren’t loose and are out of the way lol.

A zippered upper side pocket is a pretty good idea that I had’t really considered. An elastic top seems more user friendly.

I think I’d definitely want to avoid compression over the ditty pocket. It’s a little more work, but routing underneath seems much better.

I planned on making one side pocket lower for ease of access to grab water bottles, and the other higher, to carried trekking poles, camp chair, or other taller items as needed.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I’m a big fan of upper side pockets – I have them on my SWD pack – on both sides. I keep TP kit, first aid kit, a water filter, etc. in them for quick, easy access. Has worked for me quite well.

Another thing SWD offers that might work for your purpose (in conjunction with an upper side pocket) is a small zippered pocket near the top of the main body, on the outside of the pack, that would easily fit small items like chapstick and such. You can see it here.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools