Topic

Ditching freezer bags requires a pot upgrade

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ditching freezer bags requires a pot upgrade

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I’ve been considering ditching freezer bags and rehydrating/eating from the pot, but that means I need a larger pot.

It must be able to house 1 of the the smaller 100g/110g/4oz canisters like SnowPeak/Jetboil/(new) MSR, and a Soto Windmaster. Ideally it could also house a Gerber Ultralight LST, a <span style=”color: #0088cc;”><u>Hotlips</u></span> and a small piece of microfiber towel with major bonus points if it can also house my long folding spoon.

I was looking at the 130mm Toaks 900ml. Responses from other BPL threads indicate this *might* work, but does anyone have any direct experience with this (or similar) kitchen setup?

Several reviews on Amazon say that a small canister and stove fit inside the Toaks, but I am concerned about the fixed, rather wide head of the Windmaster.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Do you have a tape measure or a ruler? The link you provided has the measurements:

You could even mock up the pot with some thin cardboard. Keep in mind the lid fits into the pot, so you will lose a tiny bit of storage space at the top of the pot.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Nick, that is the next step…just wanted to take advantage of BPL collective experience :)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I have that pot and can recommend it.  I’m out of town at the moment but can take pictures of it with a canister and stove inside Saturday.  I’ve only used it with the Bobcat system and esbit so I can’t say for sure how they will fit.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

For anyone interested…I bought the 130mm Toaks 900 pot and it does indeed (although just) hold all the mentioned articles.

Better yet, although as yet unproven, it appears that the stuff sack has just enough extra room/stretch to accommodate a layer of Reflectix on the bottom, sides and top to form a completely contained cozy.  Will work on that this weekend.

James L
    BPL Member

@jimmerul

JCH,

Thanks for posting that update.

That’s interesting. I own that same 900 ml TOAKS pot and normally use it with an alcohol stove, where it’s width really shines. Given its shallow height, I would have never guessed that a 110g canister would fit inside. Since I use an even more compact Iso burner and folding spoon than yours, I guess that opens up another potential use for my pot:)

Thanks again!

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

As I suspected, the Toaks stuff sack perfectly holds a reflectix cozy as well as the pot. This makes a very compact and self-contained system. Total weight of pot, lid, cozy and stuff sack is 145.7g.

In case anyone is interested, here are some photos:

James A
    BPL Member

@vecsus

I’m starting to move away from the pre-made meals myself and recently picked up the Snow Peak 1400 titanium pot.  It’s definitely large but gives me plenty of room to cook and the lid is also a decent-sized fry pan or bow to eat from.  Inside I carry my folding spoon, fuel canister, snow peak burner, lighter, wind screen and a Toaks 750ml cup for my coffee (most of the other stuff is actually inside the Toaks).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools