Topic

Ditch the sleeping bag…extra layers instead???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ditch the sleeping bag…extra layers instead???

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Matt Smith
    BPL Member

@mt-smithers

Locale: PNW

So I just got a last minute invite to Disney World, AKA Havasupai. Not my typical type of a backpack, but I can use a relaxing trip for once.

I have 20 hours to pack and get from NYC to Las Vegas before a friend picks me up…
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>My only sleeping bag currently is a 20 degree feathered friends hummingbird (weighs 25.5 oz in long). Obviously overkill for the 63 degree low in the forcast.</p>
    Debating just layering up and ditching the bag. My set up would look like this…

z-lite, mld superlight bivy, long underwear, long top, montbell exlite, wind or rain jacket, fleece cap.

I’ll be bringing the zlite and bivy regardless.

So would bringing a down jacket and long underwear be good down to 60 in a bivy??

My other thought is to bring the sleepIng bag and just no clothing other than maybe a rain jacket.

David P
    BPL Member

@david-paradis

Aw yeah, here in Maine  I’ve been sleeping in just 3-4 layers- a Torrid puffy with hood, Houdini wind shirt, long sleeve lightweight shirt on top, lightweight long johns and wind pants on bottom into the low 50s. I like the feeling of not being “half in the bag” :) also in a superlight bivy i use a neoair xlite inflatable.

for sure doable especially if you have a pair of regular pants or shorts, warm pad, hat, gloves, etc… I’ve been using my booties as well, socks would be fine probably. Maybe bring Mylar emergency blanket? I use one for a ground sheet

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I’d call that a definite maybe … provided that the weather forecasts are reliable.

How warm do you sleep?
    The bivvy will help
    May not matter too much but what weight fabric in the long johns?
    Is the MB exlite the hooded anorak they currently sell?  the hood will be a key part of success.
    I’d include a pair of wool socks and light wt gloves … cold fingers and toes keep me awake

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

July well below the rim in greater Grand Canyon will be hot. NWS forecast for Havasupai canyon:

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-112.72573471069337&lat=36.277631436489486#.XSWGqy3n8Wo

Highs above 100 F, lows in the 80s. Not the same weather as Supai at higher elevation.

I’d take a cotton sheet.

— Rex

David P
    BPL Member

@david-paradis

Rex, would you wear the cotton sheet toga  style with sandals? Probably a chrome dome umbrella would top off that look with style and grace and sun protection. Effective way to scare/intrigue tourists ;-)

And have a great trip Matt!

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

YouTube video

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools