Topic

Dispatches from the Beartooth Plateau: Talus and Snow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Dispatches from the Beartooth Plateau: Talus and Snow

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryansat

Companion forum thread to: Dispatches from the Beartooth Plateau: Talus and Snow

Live dispatches via satellite from an expedition in Montana’s Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness: Day 7 – Talus and Snow

Clue M
    BPL Member

@cluemonger

Type 2 fun:

stumbled in some loose, sharp talus and fell into the rocks. The whole thing happened quite fast and I wasn’t too sure what was happening until I felt various bits of piercing pain in my knee, shoulder, ankle, and hand.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Can’t wait to see the pictures. Quite the adventure…seriously! Hoping for good weather for you the rest of the trip.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

one obvious little trick which im sure ryan knows  … but for some others here …

is to use waterproof sacks and stuff em with snow as an ice pack … a wider mouth bottle will also work in a pinch but isnt as good as there isnt as much contact area

or if theres no snow, cold lake water in a platy will work as well

on talus and boulders a light pair of gloves is not unreasonable either … on some rock such as limestone it can sometimes be ridiculously easy to cut yourself by just gripping the rock a bit hard when scrambling

thin nitrile work gloves (with breathable back) are cheap and give decent grip

a lot of folks also prefer a mid/high top shoe/boot for scrambling for that reason as well … to prevent sharp rocks/talus from cutting or bruising the foot …

;)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools