Topic

Dirty Water Bottles & Multi-Use Treatment Systems

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Dirty Water Bottles & Multi-Use Treatment Systems

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by bjc.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Scott H
    BPL Member

@scott-hartwick

Hello All,

I am curious if anyone here has found an effective way to turn the Kadadyn BeFree Bag & Filter system into a storage bag which can also be used in conjunction with Aquamira drops or similar chemical treatment? I have heard that Hydrapack bottles are compatible and looking for a separate cap which can also be used with a chemical treatment system.

If not, do any of you have a preferred ‘dirty water bag’ system? My current system includes two -2 liter platypus bags with the BeFree as my dedicated dirty bag. I like the BeFree but would like to try and find a multi-use system which would prevent me from having to invest in another separate dirty water bottle.

Any experience or best practices would be greatly appreciated! My current base weight is below 10 pounds with a bear canister and looking to shred an extra ounce or two if possible.

MikekiM
    BPL Member

@mikekim

Locale: Somewhere East of Montauk

Hoping I can help Scott.  I have and use the BeFree fikter,  1 liter softie bottles (I use two) and the BeFree filter.  Use them in summer from time to time.  Aquamira is my preferred method.

If you have the Hydrapack two or three liter bags, the screw cap fits the 1 liter and 0.6 liter soft BeFree bags.  Easy to carry one or two of the small softies in conjunction with the two or three liter Hydrapack bags and use AM.

When using AM, I use the 1 liter BeFree Softie and a 23 oz PowerAde bottle.  The PowerAde bottle is easier to get in and out of pack pockets, and the softie takes up less and less room as it is depleted, crushes down to nothing when empty and seems to pack more easily than the standard shape one liter platty style bags plus it the wide mouth is easier to fill than the small mouth platty bags..

While I have the two or three liter Hydrapack bags as well, but I prefer the CNoC Vecto bag.  It’s lighter and easier to fill than the Hydrapack bags.  I can share weights on all if it helps you.

So my preference when using AM is one PowerAde bottle, a one liter BeFree softie and the two liter CNoC Vecto.

When using the BeFree filter I replace the two liter CNoC with the two liter Hydrapack.  CNoC now sells a softie that uses the BeFree compatible 42mm threads so I may change to that for warm weather when using the BeFree.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Tangential perhaps, but question about using Aquamira.  I currently use a CNOC dirty bag, a Sawyer Squeeze, a 1L Smartwater bottle & an Evernew 2L collapsible (love this one).  When treating dirty water with AM, does that turn this bottle into a “clean” one or do you have to transfer the water or what?  Are the bottle cap threads dirty/relevant?  Newbie with using Aquamira (as is obvious).  Thanks for any advice!  Steve

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

I often use AM at night in dirty water bag along with my water bottles so I have enough clean water  for  the night and to get away quickly in the morning. I do slop some over the threads as well. I do usually transfer what’s left to bottles when heading out but that’s for convenience not safety. I generally filter during the day.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools