Topic

Dirtbag bikepacking handlebar bag and pannier from a military buttpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring Dirtbag bikepacking handlebar bag and pannier from a military buttpack

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I was searching the shelves in a thrift store and came across a military buttpack made to use with webbing load gear, much like a civilian “fanny pack.” I immediately saw the potential for use as a bike bag: with all the MOLLE webbing mounts on the back, it could be mounted on a rack as a pannier or looped over the handlebars.

The bag has no maker’s label. I assume it is an Asian made copy of the Eagle Industries pack made for the US military. It is made of coated nylon pack cloth and has the ACU digital camouflage pattern. The main compartment measures 7.5″ wide, 4.5″ deep and 10″ tall, with an 8″ internal extension collar that adds another 4″ practical space when rolled and buckled. There are three outer side pockets that hold 16″ bike style water bottles. The lid has a 4″ x 6″ x 2″ zippered pocket on the top and another pocket on the inside. I estimate the total volume as approximately 11 liters. It weighs 23.6 ounces on my scale.

More at my blog:

https://dalesjournal.wordpress.com/2016/09/05/dirtbag-handlebar-bag-and-pannier-the-military-buttpack/

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Looks great Dale!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The amazing part is that it works with zero adaptation. Weave the straps through the MOLLE loops and ride :)

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Interesting.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools