Topic

Different routes into Rae Lakes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Different routes into Rae Lakes

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    a_gunslinger
    BPL Member

@a_gunslinger

Im going to do Rae Lakes 42 mile loop.  My wife is interested but unfortunately has a funky anke from some pas trauma.  Dont think she could do the loop.  I know you can approack Rae Lakes via Inion and Kearsarge.  Are there any other known routes that might be shorter and less aggressive?  Not as much a fan of the out and backs so wondering if there are any loops Im not seeing via JMT or other.  Had a local airport say they could fly her up to Lower Paradise Valley ;^)

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

As I recall the trail in from roads end on the west is pretty benign. But then you’d need to ascend a pass and descend to hike out on a loop. Otherwise, the dreaded in ‘n out.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Since I don’t have eyes in the back of my head, I never mine in and out hikes… In face, I like them because I see a different view on the return… the view that no eyes in the back of my head could not see …  :)))

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

Since I don’t have eyes in the back of my head, I never mine in and out hikes… In face, I like them because I see a different view on the return… the view that no eyes in the back of my head could not see …  :)))

I agree. And from a practical perspective, there is much less uncertainty about an out-and-back route, especially if you are unsure about the difficulty of the route (e.g. with respect to your wife’s ankle). If you can get in, you can probably get out. If you plan a loop, you never know what you might find after the half-way point, when it is harder to turn back.

Robert Spencer
    BPL Member

@bspencer

Locale: Sierras of CA and deserts of Utah

The loop is epic, but you will have to work to enjoy the whole thing. Given that the entry from the west is a flat 2 miles you will be hard-pressed to find an easier access point.  I’m not aware of any shortcuts that would lessen the challenge.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Yes the pass is just AFTER Rae Lakes if you hike in from Roads End, so you can opt to simply return by that route if there are any issues with your wife’s ankle.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools