Topic

Delorme Inreach vs. other options

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Delorme Inreach vs. other options

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

I’ve been planning for a Sierra High Route hike this August and know that I want some type of communication device.  I originally thought it would be best to rent a satellite phone, but after some searching here, it seems like the Delorme Inreach might be a great fit for what I need.  Renting one doesn’t seem like a great deal–  more than $100.

Which model is best?  Is the Explorer worth an extra $100?  I unfortunately missed the sale at REI last month– is Amazon a good place to buy from for this type of device?  REI would have been great for returns in case the device failed.

Finally, are there any other options to consider?  I thought some type of satellite “hotspot” for my iPhone would be ideal, but it seems like those cost even more (Iridium GO! costs +$750)…

Thanks for the feedback.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

The Explorer just adds some GPS features, it doesn’t add any additional communication features.

I used a Sat phone on a couple of off trail trips including Alaska, but am going to try an iReach SE on my trip to WRR this year.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Will you be traveling solo?

Would your progress be monitored, or just your exit date?

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I have an InReach SE. I chose it because the GPS features were not useful to me: don’t know how to use them, and I rely on map navigation. It works great for keeping in touch with my boyfriend when I’m hiking solo.  Has trouble under the trees, but that shouldn’t be a problem on the SHR.  It does eventually get a message out if you can find a hole in the trees, and I find it more reliable than a Spot. Plus, my boyfriend can email/text me back. Probably lighter than a sat phone,  and cheaper too. Now comes with a weather forecast feature. Does need a service plan, though.

Andrew Priest
    BPL Member

@aushiker1

Locale: Fremantle

My reasoning for using an InReach SE is pretty much the same as Dianne’s sans the boyfriend :)  I actually sold my Spot and replaced it with the InReach SE to get the text messaging feature. I use a dedicated bicycle GPS anyway (mostly bikepacking/touring) so was happy to skip on that feature.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

I got the explorer, and pair it with my iPhone.  I still use Gaia GPS so maybe I could have saved the $100.  I picked this over the spot and Sat phone options.

When you send a text it includes your location.  My messages are usually just when I leave the car, and all’s well and done for the night.  It’s nice to be able to receive a response or confirmation.  No problems locking  for me, but I’m out west with less tree coverage.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

Oh, with regards to the SE vs Explorer.  $100 didn’t break the bank for me and I frankly didn’t know our want to bother to worry that the GPS would have been handy/useful in a pinch.

They weigh the same and I think have  the same battery life.  Hard to say if something you don’t want to need it’s worth $100, until you need it.  You can take that logic too far, but for me I could afford the extra features.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Some more factors to consider:

• Will you take a smartphone anyway? If so, texting via the inReach SE or Explorer will be much easier. If not, you can slowly, painfully enter custom messages when you need them. I anticipate as many messages as possible, and preload them before departure.
    • Last I checked (a while ago) Delorme prohibits renting inReach devices. Renting satellite phones is pretty easy, but not cheap.
    • Sometimes it’s much easier to communicate by voice than by text, particularly in stressful situations. And texting provides many opportunities for misinterpretation — speaking from personal experience! So a satellite phone can be quite useful.
    • inReach SE/Explorer – 6.7 ounces. Iridium 9575 sat phone – 8.7 ounces.
    • If you plan to thru-hike the SHR, you probably need some way to recharge unless you carefully limit your usage.
    • inReach and similar devices can send tracking messages – which can comfort those left at home, and provide a clue to rescuers if you are hurt so bad you can’t hit the SOS button. Most sat phones don’t track, and those that do (9575) are a PITA to use.
    • Do not expect an Internet-like experience using satellite hotspots – they are just way, way, way too slow. You’ll be exchanging text messages and very short emails only.
    • Do you want to update Facebook or Twitter while hiking? inReach devices and hotspots can do that, sat phones not.
    • It’s really hard to send decent photos via small satellite devices. inReach devices can’t, satellite hotspots are incredibly slow, so you must downsize the photos to thumbnails.
    • inReach SE and Explorer have the same battery size. If you use the mapping features of the Explorer regularly, you will burn through the battery faster. Simple math.
    • Learn how to “soft reset” an inReach before you go — ideally, stick the instructions on the device. Many people have reported backcountry freezes that were fixed in a minute with the proper instructions.
    • Other than freezes, recently manufactured inReach devices seem to be reliable. Some of the first SE shipments had problems, and DeLorme was quite responsive with replacements.
    • DeLorme releases inReach firmware updates a few times per year. Update yours and test it well before you leave.

I’ve used an inReach SE without a smartphone for a couple of years. I like it for tracking, two-way texting, and reliable transmissions even deep in forested canyons. I don’t like the ease with which text messages painfully typed in can be misinterpreted. The “log into web site, attach device to computer via USB for message changes & updates” process seems too complex. And I don’t like how unpredictable remaining battery charge can be under similar conditions.

The inReach SE pros outweigh the cons for me.

Hope this helps.

— Rex

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

I had the inReach SE but moved up to the Explorer when it came out.  The additional features that the Explorer provides are as follows:

Captures a high quality track log (up to 1 sec interval) and captures waypoints, (both tracks and waypoints can be downloaded in GPX format),  Waypoints are sent directly to your Mapshare page.  Routes, waypoints and tracks previously captured and saved in GPX files can be uploaded and used for navigation on the Explorer’s map screen.  The Explorer also maintains a trip log, has a barometric altimeter, digital compass and accelerometer.

If you want/need any of these features, then go with the Explorer or carry a GPS with the SE.  I bought the Explorer so that I didn’t have to carry my GPS anymore.   Recording high quality tracks is important to me so a smart phone doesn’t cut it (battery life issue when capturing continuous tracks).

Here’s a page from Delorme’s site that gives a (rather slanted) comparison of a few units.  You may find it helpful.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Inmarast Isat phone is worth a look also.

I paid about 500$ for the phone 5-6 years ago and about 25-30$ a month for 20 minutes (it rolls over)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I use paper maps for navigation and carry an iPhone with Gaia GPS as backup so I bought the InReach SE.

I was delighted when I got my unit and realized it will display your current GPS coordinates on its display. I’ve not used this feature in the field but it’s nice to know I’ve got the backup if I was not confident in my location and my iPhone was out of commission. All of the maps I use have GPS grids on them.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far.  I have found at least one place that rents the Delorme, but for the price, it makes more sense to buy it.

Skurka has written several blog posts about the topic.  It does seem that you can get most of the benefits of the Explorer by using an iPhone with a GPS app.  However, for a one time fee of ~$80 and no weight penalty, I wonder if the Explorer might be nice to have as a redundancy if I lose power in my phone.  I’d like to avoid needing to recharge the batteries of either the Inreach or my iPhone, using both sparingly over a 2 week period (still need to research whether this is feasible).

http://andrewskurka.com/2015/delorme-inreach-se-explorer-how-to-choose-differences-recommendations/

http://andrewskurka.com/2015/delorme-inreach-explorer-se-two-reasons-to-buy-explorer/

http://andrewskurka.com/2015/plbs-satellite-messengers-phones-pros-cons-my-picks/

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I believe http://lowergear.com will rent you an InReach.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

do you get cell phone reception anywhere on SHR or JMT?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I had a cell connection on top of Donahue Pass and then intermittently as you get closer to Red’s Meadow. I’ve heard of people getting a connection on other passes but didn’t try it. And then on Whitney.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

I’ve run the numbers on rent vs. buy, and it depends how much you will use it, but for one big trip a year I conclude renting is better for me. To buy the SE is $300 before any sales, then minimum $40/yr for annual fee and one month of minimum service. To rent for a 2-week period is $85 + $20 for shipping from http://www.oerentals.com/index.html. So, cumulative costs:

• Year 1: buy=$340, rent=$105
    • Year 2: buy=$380, rent=$210
    • Year 3: buy=$420, rent=$315
    • Year 4: buy=$460, rent=$420

It won’t be until the 5th year that buying saves over renting, that’s a pretty long payoff horizon. Not counting time value of money, plus the fact that Garmin may come out with new devices in the interim that could be available for rent whereas with purchase I’m “stuck” with the device I bought.

Using it multiple months per year obviously changes the equation.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Great point, JR.  Very convincing argument for renting the unit.  However, I’m considering whether I would use it multiple times per year, even for short 1-2 night trips.  Why?  My wife would feel much better if she hears from me each day and has my location.  This might be worth the initial cost plus activating the device for the month.  Plus, there is the potential to sell it in a few years if for some reason I don’t like it or need it (used models sell on ebay for +$200).  The resale value might put the breakeven around renting 3 times in 3 years.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Agree with the fact that when buying you at least have some equity in the deal.

Also if your purpose is to use the device as a possible lifesaving piece of kit, with a rental you are using an electronic device that has potentially passed through many hands without having any idea of how it was treated along the way. Obviously any device can fail but possibly something to consider.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools