Topic

DeLorme inreach se (disappointed)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion DeLorme inreach se (disappointed)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    quinton bryant
    BPL Member

@quinton

My like new DeLorme Inreach se did not work to send messages once during this last trip.I floated the lower buffalo river in Arkansas(rush to shipps ferry) for 4 days.While i had no phone signal for the first 3 days i wiuld have thought the inreach would.Far from the backcouny were lots of people hunt and fish.Im calling garmin tomorrow.

very DISAPPOINTING!!!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

What subscription plan do you have?

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Did you have a clear view of the sky during the trip?

Did you successfully send out the free test message at the beginning of the trip?

quinton bryant
    BPL Member

@quinton

Basic 10 text plan,yes to the free test message and as clear a view of the sky as i could get on a river.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Did the periodic updates to the Earthmate track of your trip also fail or just the messaging?  And were you using the Inreach interface or your smartphone via bluetooth for the messaging?

When walking under forest cover, I have had messages queue up for 20 or 30 minutes or more until the device had a clear view  of the sky but never fail altogether.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Very strange then. I’ve used mine under tree cover, from inside my cuben shelter, etc., and never had a message fail to go through. Sounds like you might have a faulty device.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Were you sending the messages from your phone or from the device itself? If from the phone, are you sure you had the inReach’s bluetooth turned on and that it was paired to the phone?

quinton bryant
    BPL Member

@quinton

I didnt use the Bluetooth texting,i used some preloaded messages.The route on my Earthmate app did seem to work ok.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

There is no warning if the phone number or email is incorrect. That’s a mistake i made.  The device says sent on the device but nothing gets to the recipient and you get no “bounced” notice.

Seth R
    BPL Member

@lerxst

Locale: Northeast

Mine did the same thing the first trip I used it on back in April (original old style SE). After calling Garmin they had me do a soft reset and all has been well. I haven’t tried using the earthmate app to text, just the device presets.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have the old style SE and have never had a message not go through. Sometimes they take a few minutes, but they have always made it out.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

In 2014 my inReach SE stopped sending messages; DeLorme sent a replacement without hassle (long thread that drifts off and on topic):

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/93228/

Also, standard tech gadget advice applies: make sure your inReach SE firmware is fully up-to-date, they do fix bugs.

I added a label to the back with soft reset instructions, in case it goes dead in the backcountry. Haven’t had to use that yet.

— Rex

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

^^^

My SE has the Reset on the back label –

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Locale: Victoria-Southeast Australia

Thanks Greg M you are a champ! I didn’t know that this was there, plus SOS directions, plus cancelling. I have the newer SE and the directions for reset are slightly different. By the way, I am in Australia and mine has worked flawlessly. Bigger than the mini, but should the faecal matter hit the fan and I was say, bitten by a Tiger snake and death a very real possibility, under extreme duress, I know which device I would rather be holding. This sits very nicely in the hand. That little thing I’m not so sure.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools