Topic

Deck bag for packrafting

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Deck bag for packrafting

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I recently added an Alpacka with a cargo zipper to my fleet. In the past my backpack rode on the bow and I accessed cameras, food, water, bear spray, a jacket, etc, straight from that while paddling. But with the pack now sometimes stowed inside the tubes I still wanted easy access to those items without needing to mess around with a loose dry bag under the spray deck. Quick camera access is especially important to me.

I picked up some 2.92 oz DCF fabric and waterproof zipper ribbon. I sewed a deck bag that is 4” tall in the back and tapers to 3” in the front. The zipper (stern) end is 16” wide and tapers to 10” at the bow end. The bag is 12” front to back, for a total approximate volume of 550 cu in. I put hypalon gear loops at the corners to attach the deck bag via gatekeeper straps that I also use to attach my packraft carry bag to my SO packs. It weighs 2 oz (57 g). Now I just need to seam seal it.

Chris L
    BPL Member

@thechrislundy

Locale: Idaho

Nice work, that’s awesome! I seem to be on a never-ending quest to figure out something similar. I’m guessing your fine with the zipper not being totally water-tight?

I built the bag below – it’s a copy of the Alpacka large bow bag. I built it from x-pac X21RC. I found a cheap ($20 shipped) chinese watertight zipper. Time will tell on its durability. I’ve only used it once but it seems of decent quality. The bag weighs 6oz, which is about 4oz less than the Alpacka version. Still, it’s a bit heavier than I would like so I was intrigued by your design. I also use a SO pack and love the use of the gatekeeper straps that you’re already carrying.

I’ve also just used my SO packbag – I’ve become pretty good at stripping the suspension and shoulder straps. Saves some weight but getting at stuff is awkward.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

I’m not too worried about the zipper. All that stuff used to be in the hip belt or side bottle pockets, or just attached to the shoulder straps so it’s not like they used to be better protected from the elements, haha. I basically do 90% ocean paddling so no whitewater, and I try not to end up out in the rain too often. I just need some splash protection.

Your bag looks nice.

Chris L
    BPL Member

@thechrislundy

That makes sense.

I may try to copy your design. Weight is important to me since a good portion of my packraft trips are hiking. I do some class 3 rivers, but I can put critical things in waterproof stuff sacks. I do that anyway when my pack is on the bow.

Thanks for sharing!

Chris L
    BPL Member

@thechrislundy

One more question – do you plan to seal it with seam tape or aquaseal?

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Aquaseal. I am sealing both the inside and outside. I took the pics before doing the outside because now that I’ve goobered the seams up the bag looks less pretty, lol.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools